Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question about a Genesis

Hey there friends
So... Ive been in the market now, toying around waiting for our work season to end here. Ive been looking into the TC1000 busses, but am hoping to find more power than the 5.9.
Last year I came accross a partially converted Genesis amtran. Its a friend of mines and I know he hasnt touched it in awhile.
It WAS converted, and camped in at one point, has some add on that would come with it and is restripped to be rebuilt. My understanding is it has tanks, (Grey and clean) is wired for solar, and power plugins, has a roll out awning, and a front receiver for some dirt bikes. Im probably missing some stuff as well. Im guessing its got a 466 in it, being a 90s bus.

its already registered as an RV so thats a plus.

Heres my question. Last year he offered me a package deal. The bus, a running camper for parts (to strip the propane fridge etc), a beat up boat with a trailer, for 10k. there was probably some other stuff too. But i didnt have the cash to boot for it.

Im curious what you guys would be willing to spend on just the bus... I know hes gonna want more than 5k. Id guess hes in the area for 7... Do you think its worth it to pay that much for what i understand is a solid bus/drivetrain, thats partially converted. The hard work of seat removal is finished, and is basically an empty slate.

I personally know what im willing to spend, but im curious to know what you guys think. Its the style im looking for and if I can get him in my ballpark I might go for it.

Let me know....
Thanks!

Crlefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Need to know engine, trans, length of bus, how old, mileage, etc. That said, I own a Genesis and they are excellant buses. Without seeing it , I would say $5k is probably ballpark for that.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

based on my last post from a year or so ago when i was looking at this originally its a 1995 with a 466. i would gues a 545 but unsure on that. 86000 original miles. ill confirm that for sure. but thats what i know so far length of the bus is 35ft
Crlefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
My bus is a 1993 Genesis with the mechanical DT466. Most of these came with the MT643 Allison. I have heard of some with the 545 but they were all the fairly detuned models. Any of the DT’s with 210 hp or more will not have a 545.

I bought mine at auction on public surplus for $2,900. I specifically wanted a front engine with the mechanical 466. Mine will eventually be a toy hauler but so far have only used it as a moving and work vehicle.

The Genesis is a great bus. Mine fully loaded with household goods and heavy tools was able to pull up even heavy grades in Montana. Slowest I ever had to go was 45 or so on the very steepest pulls. Pushing it up to 70 mph does start to really eat up the fuel but running a steady 60-62 we were getting 11-12 mpg.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Genesis > TC.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote