Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

Question about Cruise Control

The subject line pretty much says it all. I've read through alot of the posts on this site and there is alot of talk about governors on the engines that limit the speed you can drive, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has installed a cruise control on their bus. Having driven across the country and back againin the car, I can't imagine doing it without a cruise control.

I'm planning on buying a bus to convert in the spring and this site has been invaluable in the amount of good information available.

dabauer1701e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Question about Cruise Control

I have just used the throttle knob to throttle up the engine until its rpms are at the speed i want...this may be illegal though... I just did this on the four hour trip home after I bought it and it seemed to work fine.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Question about Cruise Control

There are some newer buses that have cruise control on them already. I'd like to say 1996 and up on international buses but can't say for sure. But then I have seen many newer freightliners that don't have cruise control.

That said I am also guilty of using the throttle lock. I've done it without having any problems. I unlock it if I happen to be catching up to those in front of me and before I go down a hill or around a curve. If I'm in traffic I don't use it.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote