Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International Thomas
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71
Question about using generator to power RV rooftop AC unit

Hello!
Unfortunately I have been out of commission regarding working on our buses, but am determined to get at least one rolled out by the end of the month.
I have purchased one roof top RV air conditioner for the bus and plan to cut a hole in the roof and try it out. I fully expect to need to use two, but want to start cheap and see how it goes. Also, as we are entering our cooler months, Im hoping to save up for a second unit. I say that, but as any of you fellow Houstonians are fully aware, it is still flippin HOT here in Texas with heat advisories. So "cooler months" is a relative term.
I want to power the AC unit with a portable generator. Also when I have more money, I would like to purchase a Honda EU which has a built in inverter, but need to wait for this, as this purchase is more than the cost of the buses with two AC units (ugh). In the meantime, I have a Honda generator that does not have an inverter. Do I need to install an inverter to plug the generator into before I can connect the AC unit?
Thanks
Virginia

HealthyPetsBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
no, honda makes two types. the cheaper ones produce ac, the more expensive ones produce dc that is inverted to ac. either one will work fine
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
You will definitely need 2 AC's... Maybe even 3. I'm just south of you. Houston is BRUTAL weather in the summer! But starting small is no harm and will let you feel your way into the project.

Before you get too much further however, you might do some research on RV air conditioners and gennys. A single EU2000 powering a rooftop unit can get tricky due to the surge current requirement. Two AC's get even more tricksy: if one is running and the other tries to start, it will knock the running AC unit offline and fault the genny(s). Even running paralled gennys doesnt necessarily cure this problem.

The solution is to start off with AC's that have a low surge requirement, and can tolerate a surge themselves. Also important is the energy efficiency. Some rooftop units simply will not start and run on a single EU2000.

Suggestion: Check out the newer Atwood AC's: You can run a single 15k btu unit off an EU2000 at sea level. I did it. Atwood even advertises their 13.5k btu unit specifically for this purpose, but the 15k unit is the same compressor and specs.

Link to random vendor for product: Atwood Air Command RV Air Conditioner 15000 BTU Top Unit Heat Pum.. I have no affiliation with this vendor. They were just the first google listing.

I posted this because my situation has similar concerns: 4 chest freezers, a upright refrig/freezer, an exhaust fan, and a 15k btu Atwood AC. Believe it or not, all this stuff is handled by two paralled EU2000's with the eco switches set "on". (We logged three weeks of non-stop running with this setup btw).
Old 09-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
just my opinion but getttting a small 2000 watt generator would be a big mistake. i think you need 4-5000 watts per A/C unit to make em start and run.

yes, at sea level, an 2k generator may do it, but what about when you travel? seems under built from the get go. what if you want to run a microwave or coffee maker along while running the AC.

don't buy a generator that is maxxed out by 1 appliance.

read grey coyote's thread carefully. he is using 2 - 2000 watt generators.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
just my opinion but getttting a small 2000 watt generator would be a big mistake. i think you need 4-5000 watts per A/C unit to make em start and run.

yes, at sea level, an 2k generator may do it, but what about when you travel? seems under built from the get go. what if you want to run a microwave or coffee maker along while running the AC.

don't buy a generator that is maxxed out by 1 appliance.

read grey coyote's thread carefully. he is using 2 - 2000 watt generators.
To be clear, I strongly agree with Turf. You need serious power to run multiple ACs. The paralled EU's are for proving the AC concept only. And because these busses are being used in a business, failure is simply not an option. I'd be looking at an 8-10kw diesel genny, 3 15k btu AC's, and some professional-grade power distribution hardware (20 amp spec-grade outlets, built-in UPS's for anything digital, etc)

BTW: I'm really liking her mobile business model. If I was closer, I'd be a client. Hopefully this comes together and bears BIG fruit!