Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Question for the roof deck installers among us...

...when you bolted your deck supports into the ribs, did you route your bolts through the deep part of the channel, or through the 1/2" flanges on each side? And how have they stood the test of time?

I've gotten some nice supports fabbed, but unsure of how I should mount them. Thanks for any insights.
Attached Thumbnails
deck support.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
...when you bolted your deck supports into the ribs, did you route your bolts through the deep part of the channel, or through the 1/2" flanges on each side? And how have they stood the test of time?

I've gotten some nice supports fabbed, but unsure of how I should mount them. Thanks for any insights.

i did a support just like yours. each leg like that has four bolts through it, 2 bolts on each side of the flange on the rib. each bolt with a nyloc nut.

-not sure about test of time as im still in the build stage of the bus but the deck is done.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
-not sure about test of time as im still in the build stage of the bus but the deck is done.
Given the craftsmanship of your entire build, I have no doubt your great-great grandkids will be out on that deck partying like it's 2099.

Thank you for the pointers.

The Busted Flush
Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Plfking,

How did you determine the angle to cut the base of the mount?

I want to build mounts similar to yours and have not figured out the angle short of building the deck, setting it in place, measuring the angle and then cutting the "feet".

I am sure there is a better way. I have not figured it out.

Thanks.

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Plfking,

I want to build mounts similar to yours and have not figured out the angle short of building the deck, setting it in place, measuring the angle and then cutting the "feet".

Thanks.

S.
I would do it by extending a straight edge over the two roof rails and measuring the angle from that in the location you want the foot.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Plfking,

Thanks.

S.
I thought about building the frame first, but was afraid I'd miss something and end up too long or too short and miss a rib, so I thought I'd mount my 4 supports first, then measure from there for the deck frame dimensions.

I "assumed" the center of my roof hatch was the centerline of the roof. Parked on a level cement floor, marked the centerpoint, then went out 40" to each side (for an approx. 80" wide deck, and marked at 36" and 40" to represent my 4" square top and bottom plates). Laid an 8' length of 2" tube stock across the roof, placed a 4' level on top of it, leveled it by stuffing rags between the tube stock and roof, then measured from the bottom of the tube stock to the top of the roof. I came up with 5" at the 36" mark and 6 1/2" at the 40" mark. I then added 2" to each of those dimensions to give me better airflow under the deck.

With all that said, I screwed up a little anyway. I gave the fabricator those measurements and told him to cut the TUBE that size, when I should have said that the top and bottom of the plates needed to finish at those dimensions.....so i ended up with a little higher angle than planned. My deck will now be 84" wide instead of 80", and since the supports will mount a little lower down the sides of the roof, I'll have to add a spacer to the top of the plates to get me back to that desired 2" clearance.

I'll make it work, but I hope you learn from my mistakes.

1) Definitely should have had the plates made 6" x 4", to give myself more room for boring mounting holes. But 6" may be too long to lay flat enough on the curve of the roof.....I should've taken a scrap piece of wood and experimented.

2) 2" tube stock may be overkill....I think 1 1/2" square would work fine, plus would give you more room on the plates for boring holes.

3) Probably much easier to get your measurements from the very back edge of the roof....less danger of slipping off the roof , and you'll have a better angle to see everything. To get the centerline, maybe measure across the bus at the top of the emergency door, get the centerpoint, then use a 4' T-square to transfer that point to the roof ?

4) An 8' length of STRAIGHT 2" x 4" would probably 'droop' less than the same length of 2" tube stock.

Sorry for the novel......but do as I say, not as I did.

The Busted Flush
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks for all the info.

I can make that play.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote