Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
I tapped my brake system, just took out the drain valve, put in a tee and put the drain valve back on the end. Came off the tee with a hose barb and stuck on a plain old air hose. I put a valve in there also, in case there's a leak or other problem I can just turn it off and still have brakes.

The tank on the left(rear, lower picture) has the tap, the tank on the right(front, lower picture) is original. I have 4 tanks and tapped the one closest to the compressor. Put a water trap/filter/regulator on the line, a $20 deal from Harbor Freight on sale. Funny, just noticed that the drain valve is upside down on the right tank ...
I painted a few things with this, including the ceiling and some outside parts and it seems to work fine if you have patience. I had no other need for a compressor, so this was OK with me. It seems to work a little better if you get one of those air tanks that are made to fill up at the gas station and bring home, and put it on the line. I put a 5 gallon tank on there and didn't have to wait for the compressor to catch up so much.
Don't know about the sign thing, I don't have any of that, but don't know why you couldn't ....

Tom

Old 06-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Sounds like you have vaccum assist brakes, not air brakes. Those are vaccum cannisters.
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:24 PM   #3
Bus Geek

slightly off topic....ok, completly off topic of painting, but keepig with the topic of brakes.....

where does the power come from in the hydraulic brake system with a diesel engine? I have hydraulic brakes, and I know that the electric "hydraboost" system kicks in when the engine is off and you use the brakes. Where does the force come from when the hydraboost is not operating? (which is mostof the time?) There is no vaccume like you would have on a gasser.