Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #31
Re: Questions about Raising the Roof

well kevin, i suppose the maximum sane height would depend on how you raise it, what materials are used, and of course what, if anything do you plan to mount closer to the roofline or put into upper your cabinets. My godfather built a bus similar to the "azalea" bus, but his was framed like a house, very heavy too. His bus was about the same as my dad's (now the azalea bus) which is 12.5". he would always make comments about how if he ever had his tip, all he would have to do is get it back on all four and fix the siding. well, a cloverleaf in near the bronx proved him wrong some years ago. his bus was, we put it, "toothpicks". I can also say that my dad's (once again 12.5" tall) was built with cedar, redwood, & aluminum wall studs. i know it's not exactly sturdy material for a bus, but it easily holds up to everything unless it rolls over. as far as being top heavy, unless someone was sleeping one of the lofts it was amazingly lightweight. you wouldn't believe how far i've seen it tilt to one side then just come right back up. anyways, point of the story is that height is not as much of an issue as top-heaviness. anyone care to perform some not-so scientific tests to find our "sweet spot" for raised roofs? lol!
unfortunately i fell off the bus. and now i'm not even near the darn road! ;) ;)
skooliechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #32
Almost There
Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin
Re: Questions about Raising the Roof

I'm probably doing the lift and resultant structure in the "Millicent" school of lifting. Steel bars, diagonal cross bracing, and the original curved bus roof becomes the new roof structure. More for open space than for high cupboards and storage up there.

The question then, about how high is too high - is where do I end up falling over in a big wind, and could it even drive down the road without it flopping over in a crosswind. It is a mostly stationary home with "escape pod" capability.

BTW - the program is Google Sketch up - good (free) tool if anybody wants to work with 3d images. Helps with showing your spouse what it might look like!

Check out the Millenium Phoenix
KevinCoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote