Old 09-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #21
Bus Geek
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
true business insurance for a vehicle is different than the progressive commercial vehicle for personal use that alot of us are using for our busses... that policy is just a glorified personal auto policy that was expanded to allow non-traditional vehicles to be insured like daily drivers..

the OP's bus is going to be used for a real legitimate business so they need real business insurance.. and a few hundred bucks a month isnt out of the realm...

I looked into it for mine when i was told a "mobile software lab" would be a busioness.. however the lawyers said my use was no different than a guy sitting in his pickup truck working on his laptop since the bus is in my name and i dont actively sell or solicit business from it..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #22
Almost There
Year: 98
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
This is an older picture, but it shows the concept:

I built a deck on top of the original bus roof, then added a short stationary wall around the deck. I built a second roof out of wood, then covered it with sheet metal. I also built too large movable walls and attached them to the new roof. 4 aluminum server rack C channels hold the walls in place. On each side, there is an electric winch which pulls the walls up from the bottom.

The winches were controlled with wireless remotes, but the movements were not super precise so I took them apart and rewired them so I could control them manually with large switches. That's where I am right now, I will post new pictures once that project is finished. Also, I will post photos of the piano-hinge walls that fold into place to cover the large holes created when the roof is raised.

Our tiny home blog:
gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #23
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Cool. Reminds me a bit of the jack-up roof RV that Henry Ford built back in the 1930's.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #24
Bus Crazy
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I'm still kicking myself for not buying back my travel trailer from the insurance company.... After I laid it over in a 6' ditch!

It HAD EVERYTHING I need right now!!!
Slide mounts/tracks, motors, fridge, electric control panel, ducted a/c, lights, oven, windows, and a gazillion more parts!

Propane tanks, regulator, awning, furnace....even hydraulic pistons to lift the bed for storage You name it
Holding tanks, plumbing, shower, toilet, mirrors...
I could keep adding to list

Internet pic
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote

slide out