Old 09-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Questions about slide outs

Hello!

I was wondering if any of you have experience with building your own custom slide out?? I'm a extremely ambitious woman lol and I'm trying to convince my boyfriend whom will be helping me with my project, that we could really give our bus a luxury feel with a slide out. Now I haven't brought the bus yet but I'm looking to get a 35ft bus. I also plan to put walls in the inside so I know we will lose a few inches with that.

I would really really love to have a 20ft long, 3ft deep slide out unit. The first thing he said was the weight of this unit and bending the frame. My rebuttal was that we could just install pull out braces/legs for extra support when it's retracted out. His next thing was water leakage. Couldn't we just put more sealant on those area after so many months?

Do you guys think it's feasible or am I overly ambitious (so I've been told )? What am I missing? Also I'm not converting into a RV but rather a mobile business.
SadieHawkinsSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
I know it's been done before. That being said, it really depends on how much money, time, and effort you've got to spare. Converting a bus is a huge undertaking without doing a slide out. It will add a lot of extra weight, but I don't think it's anything a bus can't handle if you frame it properly.

Here are a few questions to consider before thinking about that:
- What is your budget? There is no "cheap" way to do this project.
- Where are you going to park the bus to work on it?
- What are the laws regarding parking and code enforcement?
- Can you get the bus insured?
- Can you get it insured if you add a slide out?
- Do you already have tools or do you need to buy everything?
- Do you have experience working with wood and metal? Can either of you weld?

I've seen pictures of slide outs on this site; I'm sure searching the forum would help you find those threads. Not sure if anyone who is an active member has made a slide out, though.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
I should add that I'm in the "extremely ambitious woman" category as well! Otherwise I wouldn't have a bus at all.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Vlad did it.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/98...outs-9728.html
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
all good points brought up by onenation .. other things to think about are how you utilize your space when the bus is on the road travelling.. that slide out has to go somewhere when its closed for travelling..

will all of the extra weight you add to properly frame a slideout in a bus, cause uneven weight distribution while travelling?

you will most likely need to add a levelling mechanism for when it is open.. or as mention ed some sort of legs, stand, etc that can be jacked up and down..

I do know from experience that slideouts on traditional coach-based RV's are a high service item.. leaks, the mechanism sticks, etc..they are a "fairly" recent thing on busses.. reality is coach bus manufacturers like prevost, mci, etc didnt want slideouts as they felt it would structurally compromise the bus.

the structure of a bus is much different than that of a traditional RV...

I look forward to seeing this build with slides becasuse I love seeing builds that tip the scales and to the new realms of possibility!

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 98
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
To get extra square footage, you could also build a 'pop-up' instead of a 'pop-out'. That's what I did with the rear portion of my bus and I gained an extra 90 sq ft (7.5ft across x 12ft long). The weight is evenly distributed, it's much cheaper, and a lot easier and faster to build than a slide out.
gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II pusher
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Why not get a 40 foot rear-engine bus instead - it has almost 300 sq.ft. of space inside, and if you get one with underfloor storage lockers you will get up to 100 more sq.ft. of storage space. Keep all the life-support essentials (e.g. water, black and grey, LPG, generator, batteries) under the floor so they don't use up valuable interior space - you should be able to configure them so they don't occupy any underfloor lockers. Slide-outs can be a maintenance and repair nightmare unless they are engineered and built to the highest standards.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
And Ol' Trunt did it to his 1935 Chevy!
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Hello! Thanks for replying! I've never taken on a project of this magnitude like this before so I definitely know this will be a challenge. I'm the innovator, creative, visionary, crafter, and my BF is the engineer/Mr. build it lol

1. Hughie's (My BF) dad has a large cleared piece of land where we will do the work. His dad is also a 30+ year electrician and all around handy man by trade who will be guiding us as well!

2. My budget right now is 15k-18k for this project so I'm in charge of finding sales, looking for freebies, and crunching those numbers!

3. I was able to get a few commercial and business quotes which weren't too bad (a few hundred per month combined). I will not be transporting people, it's more like a pop up and set up shop at your location. I have not gotten a quote with mentioning the slide out.

4. Hughie is a chemical engineer but works at a civil engineering firm that tests roofing materials. His job site has tools that we can borrow! In addition to the tools, his co-workers includes guys with all types of skill sets, welders, mechanical, and Hughie is pretty handy himself. Between all of those guys, Hughie, his dad who's an electrician, and this site...we will have people to guide us!
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
I should add that I'm in the "extremely ambitious woman" category as well! Otherwise I wouldn't have a bus at all.
Yesssss!!! I love seeing my fellow overly ambitious chicks!

Tags
slide out