Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran RE
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 74
Radiator problem

Hi folks.

Just picked up a 1996 Amtran RE. After test driving for 2 hours in hills, traffic, city, and highway, we made the purchase. 30 minutes later a loud bang indicated trouble. 6 inch split in the upper radiator hose. Now this could of just been an old hose and finally gave up the fight but with my luck I am concerned it could be a high pressure problem. Engine temp was fine until the explosion. During hose replacement, I noticed a hose running from the compressor to the reservoir tank.

Now the question. Is this hose routed correctly? Does the air compressor put air pressure into the cooling system or has somebody connected this hose in error? I have been looking for a routing diagram to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Jaynvona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
They have liquid cooled compressors. I highly doubt they would have switched the air and coolant lines and are pumping air into the radiator. It would have blown the hose right away, not 30 minutes into the trip.

I have seen the head gasket on a compressor leak, pushing air to into the cooling system. But as far as hoses being switched, that's not likely.

Test your radiator cap for proper relief pressure. If that tests fine then it was likely a bad hose and nothing to fret over.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran RE
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 74
Thanks Booyah. The reserve tank and cap are new. Cap could be defective so i will test it. The IH dealer where I got the new hose told me to have the radiator checked for blockage. Also mentioned head gasket leakage as a possibility but considered it unlikely.
Jaynvona is offline   Reply With Quote