Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3
Raising the roof by lowering the floor?

Hey guys,

I've been watching a lot of conversion videos online and the weapon of choice seems to be to raise the roof to gain more head room. I was wondering if anyone has cut into/lowered the floor of a skoolie and if there are any other hurdles associated with that- be it law or simple automotive logistics. Thanks a bunch!

The Fox
zQwkBrwnFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zQwkBrwnFox View Post
Hey guys,

I've been watching a lot of conversion videos online and the weapon of choice seems to be to raise the roof to gain more head room. I was wondering if anyone has cut into/lowered the floor of a skoolie and if there are any other hurdles associated with that- be it law or simple automotive logistics. Thanks a bunch!

The Fox
Directly below the floor are cross-members that sit on the chassis rails. The body is bolted to the chassis with plates.

Neat idea, but it isn't going to happen.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by zQwkBrwnFox View Post
Hey guys,

I've been watching a lot of conversion videos online and the weapon of choice seems to be to raise the roof to gain more head room. I was wondering if anyone has cut into/lowered the floor of a skoolie and if there are any other hurdles associated with that- be it law or simple automotive logistics. Thanks a bunch!

The Fox
As twigg said...nope...I've thought about insulating the space created by the ribs in the floor panels...Idk...I ain't got my skoolie yet

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 1,397
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hi Fox,

Not sure what kind of bus you have. But that is my plan on our Elf bus( E350 van chassis) It has aluminum floor ribs and I would be helped with a partial galley ( bowling alley) in the middle. That will help with better view through the windows and also keeping the original structure intact. ( I know , a lot of opinions on that on this forum)
My floor ribs are channels on its side and it will not be hard to make a 3/4" aluminum reinforcement so that the center section can be lowered.
In my chassis I have only 4" of room to drop between the frame rails before I hit other parts. But it will be a valuable 4" for me at least.

Good luck , later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Hi Fox,

Not sure what kind of bus you have. But that is my plan on our Elf bus( E350 van chassis) It has aluminum floor ribs and I would be helped with a partial galley ( bowling alley) in the middle. That will help with better view through the windows and also keeping the original structure intact. ( I know , a lot of opinions on that on this forum)
My floor ribs are channels on its side and it will not be hard to make a 3/4" aluminum reinforcement so that the center section can be lowered.
In my chassis I have only 4" of room to drop between the frame rails before I hit other parts. But it will be a valuable 4" for me at least.

Good luck , later J

Hey Joe Black,
Thanks so much for sharing! I was curious if anyone had tried or was going to try. I haven't gotten a bus yet, the Missus and I are still looking and planning a lot of things, but finding a way to utilize the empty space I've found under skoolies has captured my imagination and if getting under there is actually possible.

Your aluminum reinforcement. Are you welding it to the frame?
zQwkBrwnFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 1,397
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
No. I will bolt it. I will cut some of the ribs just inside the frame rails. I will use a water jet to cut 3/4 Alu sheet in Z shape so that the top of the Z fits snug about 6" inside the ribs. The lowered rib and floor will fit snug in the lower part of the Z , so two Z's per rib.

I used to live in a VanHool city bus with a walking alley in the middle. The seating, tables and so were on the sides. A little step up was not a problem for us but having standing height and better vision is a big plus.

The E350 is going to be converted to 4x4 and so I do not want to loose structural strength messing with the roof. I also do not want to increase the bus height in regards to tip over and top heaviness. Lowering the floor lowers the center of gravity , at least on paper.

The cut alumium Z will extend of the frame rails and will be actually stronger than the unmolested rib channel.

later j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,446
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Anything is possible with a little thought and deep pockets.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 1,397
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
That is for sure but I do not think that this floor lowering( in my case) would cost more then $200 in material.

For the 4x4 ,.... I have all the parts, actually the whole 4x4 ambulance van. It used to be our expedetion vehicle before I blew the 7.3 engine head gasket. Bought that for $ 1900 7 years ago. So that part is almost only time. Time is free .

later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,446
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
That is for sure but I do not think that this floor lowering( in my case) would cost more then $200 in material.

For the 4x4 ,.... I have all the parts, actually the whole 4x4 ambulance van. It used to be our expedetion vehicle before I blew the 7.3 engine head gasket. Bought that for $ 1900 7 years ago. So that part is almost only time. Time is free .

later J
Material may be cheap, labor will be quite intensive.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3
All the Power to you Joe.
zQwkBrwnFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
floors, head room, roof raise, space-saving

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.