Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

RE or older Eagle?

Found a 1976 (claim, info wrong) Eagle for sale with that awesome basement pass through. So now I am wondering what would be better: It or a "newer" RE school bus? Which would have the least issues generally, best gas mileage and overall, which one would I least likely want to run screaming bloody murder from?

Amiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiblue View Post
Found a 1976 (claim, info wrong) Eagle for sale with that awesome basement pass through. So now I am wondering what would be better: It or a "newer" RE school bus? Which would have the least issues generally, best gas mileage and overall, which one would I least likely want to run screaming bloody murder from?
Totally different animals. Do you want to float down the interstate at 75 mph like you're on a cloud or do you want a more "rustic" experience?
For interstate travel there isn't much of a comparison. The Eagle is the king in that regard. The school bus will do a little better on MPG's though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Also, where will you be going? If it's back roads you'll get stuck in an Eagle (turn radius, rough roads- lower to the ground) quicker than a school bus.

If you decide to check out the Eagle there's two things in particular: Rust and torsion suspension. If there's rust you can't fix it like you can on a school bus. And eventually the torsion suspension runs out of adjustment.

But yeah, if it's in good shape and you want to do serious traveling the Eagle's a great way to go.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

We will live and travel full time. Here and my dream is to ship it to Europe at some point. Hopefully sooner than later, but still it is a dream.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I spent 6 years full time on the road in my Eagle. I loved it and still kick myself for ever letting it go.

I would take an Eagle IN GOOD CONDITION over my Bluebird. I agree with the previous poster. Rust is much more difficult and expensive to deal with on an Eagle.

The torsilastic suspension pieces are over $2k each and,if I recall, there are six of them.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

How do I know they are bad? $12k is a no no.

What do I look for and at when checking this bad boy out to make sure I am not sinking us before even starting? Can I do oil changes myself? Pictures look clean, have to go in person and want to be prepared. They have school buses to.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiblue View Post
How do I know they are bad? $12k is a no no.

What do I look for and at when checking this bad boy out to make sure I am not sinking us before even starting? Can I do oil changes myself? Pictures look clean, have to go in person and want to be prepared. They have school buses to.
If its a dealer have them take you out in the bus. You'll know if the suspension is shot.

$12k isn't that much in "bus money". Tires alone are $250 each or more, and that's for generic brand.
You can change your own oil. You'll need somewhere in the 5-10 gallons range for a change. You'll need a BIG pan or something to drain the old oil into.
I've got a cheap, common bus and I'm looking at $5k, maybe $10k to fix a pretty simple issue.
With buses you sometimes get lucky and get one that lasts a long time. But all of them need maintenance and sometimes stuff just breaks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Torsilastic info: Checking Eagle Torsilastic
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

So, bus was refurbished in 1989 with new dash, engine, seats. Do you think they went over the frame and reskinned? I have asked about frame rust and suspension, will see their answer. Bus does look clean from pictures, but I am worried about being fooled and have a money pit without the money. I also keep thinking about Europe. I know here for most part Eagle is perfect. Anyone know if it would do okay traveling from Spain to Israel and everywhere inbetween?