Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummings turbo diesel
Ready but not finished.

Well, one year and 11 days to the date we brought The BOV home, and now I would call her ready for use! I wouldn’t say she complete there is still a lot of other things I want to do to her, but at least now we can use her. So what all have we done to her. Let’s start from the front to the back.
First the front door, I took the two piece door, flipped the left side door over, to allow for one of the bars to be lower, and give me a place to install the door lock, which is a standard garage door lock. Next I cover the stairs with a ruff doormat material to allow for better traction and make it a little easier to keep our shoes clean. Next in the driver area I have added two monitors that are connected to cameras all around the bus, giving me a 360 degree view around the bus. I also have added a GPS, and a shelf over the drivers set for out PS3 that will connect to the 32” LCD TV. I have yet to add an AM/FM radio or Multi-band CB yet, but those will be shortly.
Next the area directly behind the driver’s seat. I have built two couches with two seat belts per couch attached to the original bus seat belt mounts. Under each couch is a 30 gallon fresh water tank and a water pump and pressure tank on each side, the one on the port side of the bus is the primary, and the starboard side is the backup. I also have the tanks connected to allow water to stay balanced between to the two tanks. On the outside of the bus on both sides, are pressurized water hook ups, fill spouts, and vents. There is also some storage space under both couches.
Next is the Galley. On the starboard side I have Norcold 12 volt DC / 110 volt AC fridge/freezer, with the stove area next to it. I plan on purchasing a diesel stove to use so that I can have a single fuel source throughout the bus. Until then I plan on using an alcohol based stove. The stove area is surround by sheet aluminum, and under stove are inside the cabinets we have drawers. On the port side of the galley is cabinets and the sink. Under the sink I have installed a 110 volt AC on demand hot water heater. I also used a hepvo valve instead of a pea trap. This is a pretty cool little device Google it and check it out. Over the galley and the front couches I built custom cabinets. Inside some the cabinets I built custom trays with pegs to hold items in place while we travel. I have also installed a 15000 BTU high efficiency AC here with a 7500 BTU heater attachment.
After the kitchen is the head, bathroom. I installed a macerator toilet. In most RVs the toilet opens directly into the black water tank, with the macerator toilet it chops up the waste and pumps it to the tank. This keeps any unwanted smells from coming back into the bus. Across from the head is a 30” bath tub and shower. Under the bus I have installed a 30 gallon black water tank, and another 30 gallon gray water tank.
Following the head back you come to the bunk area. I have built 2 bunk beds with storage under all four beds. Under both lower bunks I also have room for 4 batteries each side. Currently I have only two installed on each side, giving me 1000 amp hours. Under the port side lower bunk I have also installed my solar controller. On the roof of the bus I have installed 4 – 128 watt flexible PVs. These panels and batteries can power everything on the bus turned on at full power for almost 3 hours, with no shower power or generators. Managing the power usage I can easily get a full day out of the current setup. Outside of the bus in this area I have shower power and cable/antenna hook ups on both sides of the bus.
Finally you come to the master salon. I built a full size murphy bed here, with cabinets on both sides, and storage under the head of the bed. On the roof I built similar cabinet to those in the galley and couch area. On the right side of the bed in the cabinet I installed my invert. This invert is a 3000 watt invert that can surge up to 6000 watts if need be. It also handles charging the batteries while on shore power. On the wall between the starboard bunk and the master salon is my master electrical panel. I have circuit breaker for both my 12 volt DC and my 110 volt AC power. This keeps me from having to worry about fuses if something shorts. On the back starboard corner of the bus under the master salon area I will be installing a 3000 watt generator/welder.
Throughout the bus I have installed 12 volt incandescent lights, once these burn out I will be replacing the bulbs with LED ones. I also installed laminate flooring throughout. The windows that we did not used we covered with sheet metal riveted in the original window opening. I also built screens for the windows left so we can open them without letting the bugs in. The window in the head I tinted with a smoked glass tint, for privacy. The doors were filled with accordion doors.
This coming weekend is our 6 year anniversary; we plan on taking up to our property for her maiden trip! We are very excited and will have lots of pictures to follow her first trip.
What is left for the BOV? Well we need to pain/stain the inside and the outside. I am still trying to figure out how to trim the walls against the curved roof. I need to mount the generator, and install some under cab storage. I also plan on using the auxiliary air tank to power air tools, by attaching some NTP connections. A few more batteries and solar panels are also in the plans. I am still debating if I want to install a rollup awning, we will see. I think those are the basics that are left, but I think she will always be a work in progress.
I will keep you updated!
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG  

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
kc_4_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Ready but not finished.

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
4.JPG   5.JPG   6.JPG  
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
7.JPG   8.JPG   9.JPG  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
10.JPG   11.JPG   12.JPG  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
13.JPG   14.JPG   15.JPG  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
16.JPG   17.JPG   18.JPG  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
19.JPG   20.JPG   21.JPG  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Last of the pics
Attached Thumbnails
22.JPG   24.JPG   25.JPG  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Wow Easily one of the nicest looking and best craftsmanship I've seen!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Very nice!. I particularly like the two-tone cabinetry and your wire shelving.

Have you considered leaving the cabinets natural (unstained)? I'm thinking of using light wood (birch or maple) and finishing it with a water-based finish that won't darken it. I always thought dark wood closes in a small space.

What are the grey pannels on the roof?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Beautiful. You guys have done an excellent job! Congratulations.
You've given the rest of us who are still working on conversion something to strive towards.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_4_jc
Next in the driver area I have added two monitors that are connected to cameras all around the bus, giving me a 360 degree view around the bus. I also have added a GPS, and a shelf over the drivers set for out PS3 that will connect to the 32” LCD TV.
What camera system did you use? I need something like this because my mirrors are okay, but in the rain, they became next to useless.

Quote:
Under the sink I have installed a 110 volt AC on demand hot water heater.
Which brand heater did you use?

Quote:
I am still debating if I want to install a rollup awning, we will see.
I believe you'll enjoy having an awning. The shade they provide over windows helps reduce heat, and allows you to open the windows to let in fresh air during a late spring or early fall rain storm. It also gives you an area that can be turned into a "screen house" where you can relax outdoors instead of being cooped up inside. I highly recommend adding the awning.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Great job, fine craftmanship. Looking forward to pics of your trip.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

Very nicely done sir!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

What they said! Very nice work!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Very nice indeed
Where did you get these?

We were told Lowes had them,looked this weekend no luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

That's a great idea.. i need to do that as well...
(It's always "tear out the old.....)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Wow. Very nice build!

I too am curious about your camera setup.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

@TygerCub:
As for the camera system, I just used vandal proof cameras, they are about $80 online, and some head rest monitors, that were about $70 online. the monitors have 2 inputs each allowing for 4 cameras.

Hot water heater was a Rehemm RTE 3, not a lot of horse power, but does what we need it to.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Thank You!