Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Rear Engine front heat.

My new bus is a RE and the heat for defrost and driver are supplied by coolant hoses all the way up to the front. My last bus was FE and I just left the lines to the exchanger in the driver area so I would have defrost and some heat up front if needed but really don't like the coolant hoses that run the 40' length of the bus. I know some people have re-routed the hoses which seems better and I have heard of diesel air heaters but haven't seen one in a bus.

I'm considering switching to this type of heat rather than re-run the lines but I'm not sure there is much benefit. The long run of coolant hoses especially run under the bus seems like a easy place for failure but I'm not sure running more fuel lines is a whole lot better.

The other benefit I see in the system is the ability to provide heat when the engine is off. So my questions are...

Can someone with more knowledge of both systems enlighten me on more of the pros and cons.

Does anyone have pictures of how these heaters (diesel) mount in there bus and connect to the front heating. I'm not interested in the engine preheat aspect if its to cold for the electric block heater I'll move south

Has anyone have a system like this that was removed from a bus or have an extra that they could part with?

Thanks for any advice

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
I took the both front heaters out of my FE and I was planning on mounting the rear heater under the stairs and re re routing to have defrost. I would give you a front heater but I'm in Oregon and your in Kansas.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Thanks for the offer, were they coolant heaters or diesel heaters?
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote