Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Reckon we'll be double-deckin'...

Yup, it would. Not really sure what alternatives one would use for wall coverings etc., if they wanted to avoid wood.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Yup, it would. Not really sure what alternatives one would use for wall coverings etc., if they wanted to avoid wood.
I'm planning on using metal framing in my conversion, the framing isn't structal & should be lighter than wood framing then coving with paneling & carpet
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #23
Bus Nut

I think metal framing is a great idea. I'm referring to the wall coverings. You mentioned paneling, so I'm assuming wood?

Brutus
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher

Quote:
I think metal framing is a great idea. I'm referring to the wall coverings. You mentioned paneling, so I'm assuming wood?
Yes wood but I'm a long ways from that so things could change
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by uswiththebus
Interesting.

Again, I don't know much about this, but doesn't building with metal add a ton of weight? Something we're obviously concerned about with the whole 14' high issue...
No, metal would reduce the weight or the structure may weigh the same, but will be 10 x stronger.

When I do garage packages we calculate the weight for delivery. Wood structures always weigh 30% to 50% more than steel packages.

Engineered metal structures can be built lighter due to the way they put the bends in the steel. Bends add strength.

Can you visualize how how dumb it would be if someone built your car, truck, or bus out of wood. Oh wait, it would be a sticks and staples pile of junk we all chose to avoid by buying a bus.

Building materials should not absorb mouse poop and urine, spilled sewage, ect. That's why I'm still concerned when someone tells me the bleach they used to clean the mouse infested room. Meanwhile its soaked into the wood, and will never truly be "disinfected".

IMO wood is only suitable for aesthetically pleasing pieces like cupboard facings, some trims, thermal breaks, ect. That way when the worst happens, strip it out and replace without having to tear down the structure to truly repair the damage.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Quote:
Yes wood but I'm a long ways from that so things could change
There are synthetic panels.

Spray foam can be shaved and a covering like a bondo or fiberglass scratch coat applied directly to the foam. Sand and paint. You could even sculpt the walls and corners into shapes of your desire.

Other things like FRP can be glued directly to Styrofoam with the right adhesive.

Thin sheets of steel can be substituted for plywood. Again adding folds into the metal yields incredible strength. By corrugating a piece of 18 gauge steel sheet, it go's from a flopping flimsy nothing, to a structural member that can hold a man with no support in the center. This would be a good way to build increadable strength into the interior walls.

Soon I will do my best to show alternative method of how to build a bus without using wood.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #27
Bus Nut

I want to clarify one thing. When the op asked if building with metal would be heavier, I answered too quickly. I was assuming she was referring to heavy steel construction, but I should have clarified that if properly engineered (not just grabbing a bunch of square tubing and welding away ), steel can be a cost savings. I do agree with Nat that steel has potential to be much lighter than typical wood construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Soon I will do my best to show alternative method of how to build a bus without using wood.

Nat
While I don't feel this is the only way to build a bus, I am actually looking forward to seeing how you build your bus. I think it will showcase a lot of alternative building methods for people.

I personally built our first home and it was a gorgeous log house with all wood wall coverings inside, and I loved it. I would build another in a heartbeat, so suffice to say, I am a little biased

Back to the op and their bus... You have a bus with a wood interior. Most of us here have buses with wood interiors. Most houses have wood used heavily in their construction. Rats are not a new problem and while I understand that stuff can soak into the wood, I wouldn't even think twice about it if it were my bus. Actually, my bus was parked on a farm for a year and I had mice get in around the engine cover and make a mess. I cleaned and sanitized and kept building I have no doubt there is dried **** in the walls

YMMV

Brutus
Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Coachwork: International

So I just posted pictures of our before and after if anybody's interested...
http://www.littlebusontheprairie.com...ii-big-reveal/

https://www.littlebusontheprairie.com
uswiththebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Wow

What a difference. Great Job.

Nat

Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E

WHOA!!!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! My husband is pretty handy!

Also, for some reason I didn't get notified of all the replies before I posted that link.

Thank you all for the clarification on the wood vs. metal issue. I can totally see where you're coming from (especially after having cleaned out the mess in our bus). It sounds a lot like carpet vs. laminate as far as cleanliness goes - I will NEVER have carpet in a house again. It just grosses me out with all the stuff that soaks into the pad that you can never ever truly get out. *shudder*

@Nat: I look forward to seeing your alternative construction methods!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uswiththebus
So I just posted pictures of our before and after if anybody's interested...
http://www.littlebusontheprairie.com...ii-big-reveal/
Wow!! That looks amazing!! Very impressive, indeed! I love that your kiddo can stand up upstairs

Brutus
Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! It really came out nice

Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

So, the original owner/converter of our bus just got in contact with us through the blog and is totally excited for us and has offered to answer any questions we might have. We have a few in mind, but I thought I would check here and see if there is anything in particular we should ask about.

I guess he and his family lived in it for fifteen years before selling it to the person we bought it from, so it has a history!