Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Recommended Sequence of Activities for Conversion Project

Has anyone seen a recommended sequence for converting a bus? I know that EVERY bus conversion project is accomplished differently based on needs and experience. What I am trying to do is develop a project plan and schedule so I can forcast what I can...or need to...purchase and when I need to have funds available. I figured the sequence of the conversion would be the greatest help in putting this together.

My thoughts on this are as follows:

1. Purchase generator as I need power for tools, compressor, lights, etc.
2. Remove floor, walls and ceiling and dispose of all insulation
3. Pressure wash the interior
4. Fix any rust issues
5. Fix any leak issues
6. Pressure wash top and exterior to make sure leak issues fixed
7. Prime all interior surfaces
8. Install cable runs and junction boxes for AC and DC wiring
9. Install plumbing components (Grey water drop and lines for fresh water [tank will be under bed])
10. Install coolant loop (radiant heat/engine block heat)
11. Install alternate DC coolant heater for when engine isn’t running and test radiant heat/engine block system for leaks
12. Install subfloor
13. Spray insulation
14. Ceiling/walls/flooring installed
15. Mount generator
16. Install electrical system (AC panel feed from either Shore or Genny), Solar Panels on Roof
17. Install A/C system
18. Cabinetry/walls/bed frame
19. Fresh water tank under bed, grey water tank under bus, water heater, bathroom and kitchen connections
20. Tile/finish bathroom
21. Install flooring (thinking cork)

At this point, I’ll have finished floors, walls and ceiling. Power at 120 AC, 48v DC, 12v DC via DC/DC converter from Generator, Shore, or batteries. Cabinets. Kitchen. Bathroom and bedroom. Plumbing and hot water for bathroom and kitchen. Eventually need to install inverter to power fridge while travelling with the batteries being charged by solar and alternator. I THINK that’s it for the big projects making up the coach. At this point, I would go over the chassis systems (mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, air, brakes, etc) with a fine tooth comb and address anything that needs addressing.

Thoughts? Have I missed any systems or does anyone have any recommendations for doing this in a different order?

Thanks

PappySki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Address bus systems FIRST.... you don't want to sink 5k or 10k or 20k into a conversion only to find there's a problem with the bus that you can't correct easily or cheaply. You want to learn that sooner rather than later.

Otherwise your timeline looks pretty good, but remain flexible because you may need to reorder things on it based on time and resources available.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. I should have mentioned that my first stop after picking up the bus will be the a local workshop that specializes in heavy equipment (they maintain the local emergency response vehicles and school buses). They did good work on my RV and actually talked me into a less expensive solution than what I was proposing. So before I start, I'll know if there are any major issues that need to be addressed from that standpoint.

However, the bus will essentially be sitting for a year with VERY minimal usage, so it will need to be gone over again before I feel safe in taking it out on the road for a long trip. It will also be my time for digging into a diesel system and figuring out how it all works.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Ok just so you know if there's anything major that needs addressing prior to converting....
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks AlleyCat67...I'm appreciating the feedback from you and others on my various threads.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Skoolie

assuming it would work like a house...

do the mechanical stuff to make the bus go/stop.
strip it down, inside. clean.
remove what you're not using (flashing lights, emergencey exits, etc).
Make sure bus still runs - that you didn't mess up something. much easier to find/fix now than a year later when it's done and you can't remember what you did and buried it in the walls anyway.

Do all structural work - roof raise, window replacement, etc. get it weather tight.

Now, on a house they do heating, plumbing, electrical then insulation in that order. Reason being ducts can't be moved around things as easily as plumbing and it's harder to move then wiring. Drain/vent lines have to go where they have to go. Now there's flexible supply lines so that makes plumbing much simpler.

test all you can before you insulate and put up walls/floors. Again, so that you can fix any issues before it's buried in the walls. Presurize plumbing with air and and a guage and look for a pressure drop. No drop..no leak! (google for details)

Flooring always goes in last as it's being walked on during all the other construction so it can be damaged.

On most car restoration paint is done last, for a similar reason as to the floors.
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.fate View Post
assuming it would work like a house...

remove what you're not using (flashing lights, emergencey exits, etc).
Make sure bus still runs - that you didn't mess up something. much easier to find/fix now than a year later when it's done and you can't remember what you did and buried it in the walls anyway.

On most car restoration paint is done last, for a similar reason as to the floors.
Thanks for this one. Very good point I overlooked.

I'll also adjust my schedule to follow your recommendation as it certainly makes sense...HVAC, Plumbing and electrical lines run in that order.

Roof raise may or may not be done. If I can get a bus with 78" interior height, I may do without the roof raise.

Tags
project planning