Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: Redundant heating/cooking/power sources

in my expierence, the most reliable items are simple. Adding a lot of complexity to the mix often equates to less reliablilty. Steam is an awesome source of power...and by awesome i mean awe inspiring! There is a crazy amount of power available there....but also deserves a ton of respect. Boiler explosions are bad. steam boilers tend to be heavy and probably not the best option for a skoolie....but you can do anything you put your mind to.

Why not have separate redundant heating sources? A woodstove puts out a ton of heat and should have no trouble heating a small space like a bus. Electric space heaters are really cheap to buy and come in several varieties. a gas furnace is perhaps the most convenient heat source depending on your gas and electric supply.

a liquid cooled diesel engine seems like a good option to add some redundancy. you can use the engine to make electricity, and use the coolant to heat the bus....and it can run on hho, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, biodiesel, or wvo....so there are lots of options.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshoisasleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
a liquid cooled diesel engine seems like a good option to add some redundancy. you can use the engine to make electricity, and use the coolant to heat the bus....and it can run on hho, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, biodiesel, or wvo....so there are lots of options.
You mean like a PTO generator on my bus's engine? The thought had crossed my mind...
i was thinking more like a vw diesel engine driven generator mounted under the bus.

although if you had a honda eu200i and stored 55 gallons of gasoline treated with stabil you could run your super quiet geni for 1 hour per day every day for 2 years. (depending on load)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Could be done, but you would have to make sure that your tires are in good condition. I remember hearing a couple years ago about someone out here in CA who was doing this when the tire shredded and almost took his arm off.

Mythbusters did something like this too... Read down to the 'Rubber Chucker'. http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/06/e...rig_myths.html
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking

As far as I know there are conversion doohickeys for running gas stoves off either natural gas or propane, and I *think* similar things are made for at least certain types gas heaters. (Since it's just about air/fuel ratio and the right sized pintle or whatever its called that fits in there I forget the name of it right now)

Steam power I wouldn't want to run inside the bus, if I ran it i'd run it outside the bus in a trailer. You could then use any form of external combustion imaginable from wood to coal assisted by solar concentrator heat. Unless you had a purpose made boiler you wont get much steam though, and unless you had a big multiple expansion steam engine you wont get much efficiency on the other side, so in general it's probably better to let this one slide for any kind of mobile rig. It would cost thousands of dollars to gain that extra layer of redundancy in all likelihood with any degree of efficiency. (meaning not having to feed 10x as much wood just to run the genset)

However you could consider a wood gasifier instead and use the gas to run a genset or even the vehicle if sized correctly. That plus some heating coils inside to heat water is what I would do in your case.
nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote