Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
Skoolie

Refined layout idea

I've compiled my 20 or so different layouts into one refined layout that I feel would work best with the type of bus I want (35' RE Thomas MVP) and what I will be using the bus for(NASCAR/occasional camping).

at this point I am not planning on having a bathroom so that will save space and messing with a blackwater tank. the reason is because at the races there are restrooms and showers available.
I will need a fresh water and gray water set up for sink.
the outer box on the layout is the approx size of the lots at MIS.

let me know what you think, and any suggestions.
Thanks Chris

thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Refined layout idea

The area straight across from the mid entry door hasn't really been given a purpose yet. because of the kitchen island pops out I needed walking area. For right now it is designated as storage cabinets. Maybe I could re design that area into a bathroom if I loose the kitchen island. By the way Smitty I think your right about the bathroom. I was thinking it over some more and think it would be a wise decision. lol. I need to get back into Illustrator and play around with the design. I'm glad I finally put my layout on the computer. I no longer have to re draw the entire thing every time I make a change. lol

There are certain areas I wasn't sure about proper size like the drivers area. I drew up 5' from windshield to wall behind driver for that area but not sure if that is not enough or too much space. So could someone please let me know of an approx measurement from windshield to the back of the drivers chair. Also the approx width of an RV door I gave it 30 inches by default. I would like to get my layout as close to scale as possible.

And Thank you to who ever posted the grid paper on here its been a life saver, and headache reducer. lol

well back to Illustrator. Ill post the bathroom idea layout when I get it finished.

Thanks
Chirs
Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Skoolie

here is the new layout w/bathroom

Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Skoolie

Thanks Smitty for the helpful info. And I think your right about the shower now that I look at it. It is hard to plan stuff out without having something to take measurements from. I'm hoping I will be able to get the bus sooner than later . but for now all I can do is plan a layout and compile lists of things I will need and keep my eyes out for freebies. lol also I still have some convincing to do with the miss's. She keeps telling me to just buy an RV. I think she doesn't like the whole skoolie look. but I told her with the RE bus I want and some skinning of windows, removal of side rails and a good paint job it shouldn't turn out looking like a "bus" but more like an RV. I showed her some pic's of other buses on here and she is a little more convinced. I'm just trying to convince her a little at a time until she finally gives in to the dark side.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Just as an FYI, the very first campground I took my bus to had their security guy check it out before the let it into their campground. One of the main things he was looking for was that it had both a gray tank and a black tank (which mine does have), but he was not going to allow it in their campground without both...and I stayed at the campsite directly across from the bath house too...but that didn't matter to them. When you show up with a home made camper, the campgrounds tend to take a closer look at your unit.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Skoolie

I will probably go with all the fresh, gray, and black water tanks if I decide on having a bathroom in the bus (which I will most likely do). However for the Races they really don't care what kind of rig you have as long as your not dumping waste on the ground and its not a safety hazard . But seeing how this will also double for occasional camping I would rather have the tanks then not have them.
As far a priority goes the tanks and bathroom are not at the top of the list because there are restrooms available at the races. The bus will probably be an on going project that depends on available funds at the time. (I'm a Photographer and student that's getting married in May and will be a step-dad to a seven year old, that all equals out to .....BROKE.)

At the top of the list is to first get a bus . then replace the floor, build bunks and sitting area. once those are in then at least it would be ready to go to the races with the bare minimum if needed. The rest would be built as time and money permits. Come on lucky lotto!!!