Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: Refrigerator venting

i think you are gonna get a lot of differing opinions, as well as things like the domestic instillation paperwork will also help. i will just tell you what i have done in the past and have now. in the past, i have had apartment frigs which were unvented and never had any heat issue..., one half size 2 way which just had one of those plastic roof vents - 3 inch round i think - from camping world ... and it worked fine. Currently, i have a full height 2 way domestic, which has been on steady for 6 months now, and it also has a 3 inch round plastic vent that is made for a vent pipe, but the piece pipe that i put through the curved portion of the roof is very short.. just extends inside enough to seal against bus. I also made sure that there is an access panel behind the frig to the outside, and enclosed the whole frig in metal panels cause they can occasionally catch fire. I also allowed for very good air circulation at the bottom.
I did not use a fan, nor do i think i need one cause it never has got very warm inside its metal cabinet. The venting is for exhaust gas when on propane.
I also have a good fire extinguisher on the wall 5 feet from the frig.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

The "large" side panel is because you need access to the rear of the LP/AC refrigerator.... that panel should be close to the bottom of the refrigerator. The ceiling vent isn't really all that big. Look up Dometic install info and use their vent placement/sizes.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

My bus has a large Norcold RV fridge and I would agree that you should follow the manufacturers suggestions for venting. The unit needs proper airflow in order to work. They are very specific about the venting clearances, but it is really quite easy to build if you follow the manufacturers installation instructions. A properly vented fridge is the most efficient which means less wasted energy.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

I also didn't want a source for roof leaks and put my upper vent 12"x12" where my window used to be. It works in cooler weather but doesn't work well in summer heat. I then put a commercial evaporator fan in there "a quiet one" and it works pretty good now (110v because we are usually plugged in). Of course it works better on electric than gas because of the extra heat generated from the burner. You need plenty of convection air flow for it to work properly. A muffin fan could work if moving quite a bit of air especially if straight up and out. Sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote