Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
**Note** Mine's an International. Ford/GM/Freightliner will likely vary, but I'd expect not by much.
when it comes to estimating the usable floor area in an FE flat nose and a dog nose, a slight difference in that measurement is only going to
be a slight difference when/if the time comes to buy my conversion platform - thanks again

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
when it comes to estimating the usable floor area in an FE flat nose and a dog nose, a slight difference in that measurement is only going to
be a slight difference when/if the time comes to buy my conversion platform - thanks again
Equal length buses an FE will have at least 5' more buildable room behind the driver.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
**Note** Mine's an International. Ford/GM/Freightliner will likely vary, but I'd expect not by much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Equal length buses an FE will have at least 5' more buildable room behind the driver.
according to a chart I was looking at this morning, a FE of the same length as a dog nose will have 48 sq' more building room - that ties in pretty close to your estimate - despite some of the drawbacks of an FE, it makes them worth more consideration for my use
Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
according to a chart I was looking at this morning, a FE of the same length as a dog nose will have 48 sq' more building room - that ties in pretty close to your estimate - despite some of the drawbacks of an FE, it makes them worth more consideration for my use
Convince me my FE has drawbacks that are not based on what if's.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I've heard that the driver and front seat ( if there is a front seat installed ) passenger are in for a comparably roller coaster ride when on a back road or what some would call off road, and not sure why, but that a conventional bus is better off road for mud/snow etc
Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've heard that the driver and front seat ( if there is a front seat installed ) passenger are in for a comparably roller coaster ride when on a back road or what some would call off road, and not sure why, but that a conventional bus is better off road for mud/snow etc
If my plans were not to spend lots of time on snow or muddy roads there is no drawback that would keep me from buying an FE. Maybe for you in Alaska, but not down here.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If my plans were not to spend lots of time on snow or muddy roads there is no drawback that would keep me from buying an FE. Maybe for you in Alaska, but not down here.
of course l'm speaking about my own needs - l'd be curious to talk to someone who has had the experience to make the comparison
Old 03-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:

Bus with a hood offers better crash protection of driver. There's 5 more feet of hood, frame, engine, etc between you and whatever hits you.

(Most) FE buses have a "doghouse" that the driver must navigate around to get seated. I'd argue that engine/radiator access is less than that of one with a hood.

Not really a drawback, but the turning of one is different than one with a hood and cars. One must get accustomed to "being in the intersection" before turning the wheel, lest you jump a curb or hit a sign/pole.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with the FE's if those are things you are willing to accept in exchange for more build space (or in the case of schools, more seating capacity).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Bus with a hood offers better crash protection of driver. There's 5 more feet of hood, frame, engine, etc between you and whatever hits you.

(Most) FE buses have a "doghouse" that the driver must navigate around to get seated. I'd argue that engine/radiator access is less than that of one with a hood.

Not really a drawback, but the turning of one is different than one with a hood and cars. One must get accustomed to "being in the intersection" before turning the wheel, lest you jump a curb or hit a sign/pole.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with the FE's if those are things you are willing to accept in exchange for more build space (or in the case of schools, more seating capacity).
I guess when the time comes I'll need to check them both out
Old 03-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:

The seating in an FE is so high , you would avoid direct impact with 90% of the vehicle out there that would go under the bus in an impact. If the argument is another tall truck running into you, I doubt there'd be much less damage between the two.
The doghouse in my Genesis is not a pain to get over or around. I have been in some models where you need to be a gymnast to get in the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
20190324_183009.jpg  
Old 03-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Personally, I *PREFER* a hood, but there's really no "wrong" choice. It boils down to what someone wants/needs, and is willing to compromise on. It's all about choices and preferences.

Ultimately, the purpose our our discussions should be to help others make informed decisions instead of blindly choosing whatever they see first. Or in some cases, living with the decisions they have made, or resolving problems that have arisen.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Personally, I *PREFER* a hood, but there's really no "wrong" choice. It boils down to what someone wants/needs, and is willing to compromise on. It's all about choices and preferences.

Ultimately, the purpose our our discussions should be to help others make informed decisions instead of blindly choosing whatever they see first. Or in some cases, living with the decisions they have made, or resolving problems that have arisen.

that's why l come to this forum - I could care less about reading discussions about curtain colours or what bedspread to use that some sites are full of - I want a safe reliable vehicle that is going to do the job I want as trouble free as possible - pretty means nothing if you can't get to where you're going - I like a well planned, nicely painted rig as much as the next person, but if a choice had to be made between reliable and looking good, I'd go with the former