Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Removal of seat mount rail from wall

In my 1993 Bluebird, if I remove (cut off) just the "lip" where where the seats were mounted, but leave the 8 inch metal section, will that compromise the structural integrity of my bus? Thanks.

LisaRiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
no its what i did also
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Depends on the bus. In most, the seat rail is indeed a structural component. There has been quite a bit of discussion on that topic here.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Depends on the bus. In most, the seat rail is indeed a structural component. There has been quite a bit of discussion on that topic here.
so is the inside skin but we all remove that. she wants to know if its ok to remove it. the answer is yes
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
You probably already saw nat_ster's drawing on this thread or elsewhere? I've left that seat mounting ledge in mine because it stiffens the vertical section of the chair rail. Without it, the top edge of the vertical piece can wobble sideways. Just a little folded part like that adds remarkable strength to a piece of sheet metal. I'm planning around it by insulating the walls to the depth of that ledge so that it "disappears." If you really need to notch it in a few places to get something through I wouldn't see a big problem with that. I'm inclined to believe that little ledge, along with the rub rails on the outside, plays a part in controlling how the side walls flap in the wind. I don't know of any data to prove or disprove it; that's just my own personal theory.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
I do not plan to remove mine. I will work around it as best I can..being a former
Bodyman my thought is the manufacturing company wants to cut cost as much as possible, so they would not have put it in if it were not needed..holding the seat up is just an added bonus for them.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Depends on who you talk to. The inner skin discussion is another one that has gone on for years with lots of unqualified input. The only definitive opinion on this site came directly from Blue Bird stating that the inner skin was indeed a critical structural component and not to be removed. Go where you want. I'll stick with what the factory engineers have to offer.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
If you want to maintain the structural integrity of a School Bus then put all your inner sheetmetal back on & reinstall all the seats you removed, reinstall all windows that were removed and or lower your roofs back to where they were.
The moment you change anything you have changed the standards a School Bus has to meet but you will still be stronger than a S&S
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
If you want to maintain the structural integrity of a School Bus then put all your inner sheetmetal back on & reinstall all the seats you removed, reinstall all windows that were removed and or lower your roofs back to where they were.
The moment you change anything you have changed the standards a School Bus has to meet but you will still be stronger than a S&S
All of the items that you spoke of removing have screws or small bolts holding them in. And you are after all replacing what you remove with new items.
Cabinets, walls, and when you reskin the Windows it makes that part stronger.
The chair rail is welded or riveted every few inches so to make it harder to removed to help keep the structural integrity intact. JMHO
Plus I might add, that I know nothing about nothing
Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Depends on who you talk to. The inner skin discussion is another one that has gone on for years with lots of unqualified input. The only definitive opinion on this site came directly from Blue Bird stating that the inner skin was indeed a critical structural component and not to be removed. Go where you want. I'll stick with what the factory engineers have to offer.
Just because one doesn't work for bb doesn't mean their input is unqualified.
The man who ok'd my roof raise has engineered some very famous aircraft.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
We need more meetups so folks can actually sit in a bus with a metal interior vs one thats fully converted and insulated.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolydoo View Post
All of the items that you spoke of removing have screws or small bolts holding them in. And you are after all replacing what you remove with new items.
Cabinets, walls, and when you reskin the Windows it makes that part stronger.
The chair rail is welded or riveted every few inches so to make it harder to removed to help keep the structural integrity intact. JMHO
Plus I might add, that I know nothing about nothing
My point is, the moment you do anything (Remove Seats) The you have changed the original Structural design.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
I am glad I found this discussion because I would love to remove that rail as well, not just to eliminate the part that juts out, but more because I want to lose the panel underneath that was trapping tons of moisture. Not sure what the consensus is. I will continue to follow this thread before yanking it out.
longhaired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
You might be waiting a while... it's rare that we reach a consensus here! Usually we agree to disagree and try to keep it friendly.

All kidding aside, the vertical section of the chair rail is the primary thing that holds the bus walls and roof to the floor. The exterior sheet metal attaches to the ribs in the wall, the ribs in the wall attach to that vertical section of chair rail, and the chair rail attaches to the floor. We can debate the importance of the flange the seats rest on, but the overall piece that creates the pocket where moisture is getting trapped (if I've understood you description correctly) has to stay.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Thanks. I have decided to keep it in place and work around it.
longhaired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
Skoolie

And the foot bone is connected to the ankle bone and the ankle bone is connected to the shin bone and the shin bone is connected to the knee bone..
There was a cool song bout that many years ago..any one remember?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
Bus Geek

BTW...if you enclose the area below the chair rails tab, it makes the perfect chase for electrical and even plumbing.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:37 PM   #18

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #19

Seat rail removal moisture

So I’ve removed half of one side of the seat rail, primarily because there is that crappy foam insulation stuck inside that I can’t get out. It’s also full of dirt and some have been full of moisture. I hesitate to cover over it with that moisture and dirt in there. Ive been using a grinder to cut out the portion between the supports. Mine is not screwed or riveted but either glued or welded to the supports. I can’t see any weld beads so I’m thinking it’s just glued. How do I deal with the dirt, moisture, and foam issues if I don’t remove it? Btw I have a 2002 25.5’ Thomas freight-liner.
Lboyd86 is offline   Reply With Quote