Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 54
Removing 04 Bluebird Onboard A/C

We are about to try to start taking out our A/C on our 2004 Bluebird with a front end 5.9 cummins engine. We have 2 skirt condensers outside and 2 evaporators inside. What I am unsure about is how many compressors we have and where to find them on the engine. (Update, Think I found them but are the simply mounted to the engine? Or does the refrigerant run through the engine somewhere??) (So im thinking I can just remove the two compressors since the belt on the engine is only running them and then hope the bus still runs) Basically we need to know everything and we are winging it at the moment.

If you are interested in helping us out and would like pictures or any additional information my email is vkraus325@gmail.com and our bus's website is thebusnamedsage.com. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

RausyRaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RausyRaus View Post
We are about to try to start taking out our A/C on our 2004 Bluebird
Why??? The engine will surely thank you for the lighter workload, but A/C is nice on the road...

Compressor can be mounted on the engine and driven by the fanbelt, just like a car. You will absolutely need a shorter serpentine belt if you delete the compressor. There are other systems that use a small engine to run compressor. Follow the lines from the A/C units thru the floor, under the bus and see where they go. Refrigerant does not go thru the engine, you are thinking of coolant which is used for heaters in the bus. Get used to laying under the bus as you will be spending some quality time there.

Go to BlueBird website and see what info you can get from your Vin # about your specific build.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

A/C and heater removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Why???
Rusty, Thanks so much for your reply. We are removing the ac and heater because the bus is going to be our full time living quarters and we had already planned to have a new unit that can run while driving or while stationary.

Now we have looked up into the engine from underneath and from above and to me it looks as if the fan belt is running ONLY the two compressors. now in the dodge models of the 5.9 I know the belt runs a lot more components. Have you ever heard of a system being this simple. Also if this is true I am then under the impression we would not need a new belt because the fan is what spins the belt in the first place.

So IF I am correct, it seems if we can flush the system safely, dismount the two compressors, nix the belt all together, disconnect wiring, dismount condensers, and evaporators, pull all the lines and wires, and if everything is done correctly the bus will still run.

Please let me know what you think of this idea!

Thanks Again
Old 08-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you are planning to do much driving where its really hot.. a measly minisplit or camper unit wont even attempt to overcome the engine and road heat... if you are going to be in mild weather driving you'll do OK...

I wouldnt be without my engine-powered A/C as i cruise the southern tier of states driving into the afternoon sun in the summer!

id keep both.. engine powered A/C thats designed for driving. and another unit thats designed for being parked.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you are planning to do much driving where its really hot.. a measly minisplit or camper unit wont even attempt to overcome the engine and road heat... if you are going to be in mild weather driving you'll do OK...

I wouldnt be without my engine-powered A/C as i cruise the southern tier of states driving into the afternoon sun in the summer!

id keep both.. engine powered A/C thats designed for driving. and another unit thats designed for being parked.
-Christopher
When I converted my first bus I removed the OTR air and thought the two 12k Btu roof airs would keep me cool running down the road.

I WAS WRONG....

If you have working OTR air that serves the drivers area I would recommend that you keep it.

When you find yourself driving facing the sun in warm weather it gets HOT in the drivers area.

My new bus does not have OTR air and I am looking at options to add it.

Just my $0.02

Good Luck!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
Traveling

You probably have 2 belts-

1) for the A/C compressors

2) 1 1/8 wide serp for the engine accessories- alternator, fan, water pump, power steering, etc.

The Tribe has spoken. A/C is cool.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I have a shorty in which I am looking to add A/C. T444E engine. Mine has a bracket for the compressor, so I'd simply need the longer belt.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:55 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
On my 444e the transair add on added a Chelyabinsk pulley to the front of the engine and a separate belt for the compressor. This was a common way of how it was done on school busses as often kit parts were universal and did not interfere with existing seep belt systems. If your compressors are on the same belt as the rest of the bus I'd be surprised. Design for non essential components to fail and cause stranding wasn't usually the plan. Plus any mods to the seep by aftermarket accessories would likely need engine maker approval.

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Removing A/C

The amount of space we save and the amount of driving we are planning to do (minimal) and being in cooler climates anyway, right or wrong, we are still taking it down. Come to Montana and take our system off our hands!
Old 08-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
The amount of space we save and the amount of driving we are planning to do (minimal) and being in cooler climates anyway, right or wrong, we are still taking it down. Come to Montana and take our system off our hands!
If I left Illinois and went to Montana, pretty good chance I wouldn't leave your beautiful State.

They sure do take-up some prime space. If you get all the parts together (including brackets and compressors), They could fetch some nice coin. There is a classified section on the board, and some of us fools loooove to drive.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:08 AM   #11

More electrical help

Okay gang good news,

A/C is disconnected and refrigerant is drained by a licenced professional we have the whole ceiling and walls down so everything is exposed. Floors are this week or next.

Down to it, we have been digging into the electrical that we need and do not need like flashers and such. We have also been screwing with the panel next to the driver trying to see what we need and do not need yet again.

We have found that we don't know what the WL Start and alike are to. Same with the C/Arm Cancel. I would think the C/Arm Cancel is to the stop sign arm and the others seem like they could be to the wheelchair lift but I've also read about wheel lock. sure would hate to be zooming down the road without one of those.
Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
close up.jpg   IMG_9878.jpg   IMG_9878x.jpg  
Old 07-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Okay gang good news,

A/C is disconnected and refrigerant is drained by a licenced professional we have the whole ceiling and walls down so everything is exposed. Floors are this week or next.

Down to it, we have been digging into the electrical that we need and do not need like flashers and such. We have also been screwing with the panel next to the driver trying to see what we need and do not need yet again.

We have found that we don't know what the WL Start and alike are to. Same with the C/Arm Cancel. I would think the C/Arm Cancel is to the stop sign arm and the others seem like they could be to the wheelchair lift but I've also read about wheel lock. sure would hate to be zooming down the road without one of those.
I am currently getting ready to tackle a similar project, removing the side air conditioning unit. do you have any pictures of your project or advice?
caleylemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
We have found that we don't know what the WL Start and alike are to.
WL is Warning Lights... those flashy things you don't like. I turned mine into turn signals in the front and additional brake lights in the rear. Just a matter of moving the terminals in the box.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, demo day, help please!