Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: 1975 White Road Boss
Engine: Detroit 8V71/330hp.
Here is a link to a rivet removal tool for different size rivets. https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=1341A
It is used a lot in the aircraft industry. Hope it helps.

ak91th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Sojourner, is that a 100 gallon tank you dropped from yours? Looks like a bigger job than I was picturing in my mind.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Sojourner, is that a 100 gallon tank you dropped from yours? Looks like a bigger job than I was picturing in my mind.
Standard 65 gallon fuel tank, in case that's what you're referencing.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Standard 65 gallon fuel tank, in case that's what you're referencing.
I don't have tractor cheater, so I'll have to see what a nightmare my 100ga. will be to drop and clean.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am having some success grinding the heads off and punching the body out with my air chisel.

Unfortunately, a number of them on the chair rail are not punching out. I am going to have to figure out how to deal with those.

I managed to do a little body damage and break a couple of windows as well
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I don't have tractor cheater, so I'll have to see what a nightmare my 100ga. will be to drop and clean.
If you set it up correctly with a couple floor jacks and an extra set of hands you should be able to do it fairly easily. Patience with an eye for safety is the key here. Its mostly just me working on this thing so my tractor is just another set of "hands". I ran my own mobile marine business for a good number of years so I'm pretty adept at moving heavy things around alone.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I managed to do a little body damage and break a couple of windows as well
I got one myself. Thankfully I'm only using a few of the windows in mine. I'll still have lots of spare parts when I'm through.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
If you set it up correctly with a couple floor jacks and an extra set of hands you should be able to do it fairly easily. Patience with an eye for safety is the key here. Its mostly just me working on this thing so my tractor is just another set of "hands". I ran my own mobile marine business for a good number of years so I'm pretty adept at moving heavy things around alone.
Took me a minute......

I started reading that and wondering "how in the heck is a floor jack going to help?"
Attached Thumbnails
River removal 012.jpg   River removal 013.jpg   River removal 016.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Took me a minute......

I started reading that and wondering "how in the heck is a floor jack going to help?"
Sorry, I think this thread got hijacked a bit.

When I removed my rub rail rivets, I removed all of them and removed the rub rail altogether. I then go around with a hammer and a roll pin punch a bit smaller than the shank of the rivet that's been cut short (so it doesn't bend) and with a 1 or 2lb hammer to knock the rivet shanks out. You have to whack it hard all at once though to shock it through. I've also used vise grips on the inside and clamp on and wiggle them loose and pull from the inside.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Just catching up on this one?
And I might have missed a part?
If your interior walls are off and the ribs exposed? Why not cut the interior side of the buck rivet flush to the rib and punch it out instead of trying to cut the head off.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
If your interior walls are off and the ribs exposed? Why not cut the interior side of the buck rivet flush to the rib and punch it out instead of trying to cut the head off.
I believe the ones he's having issues with are the ones in the sheet metal. Not much material to be grinding from the backside. The ones through the hat channels are punching out fine.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
I am not sure if I can get to the back side of the ones that are giving me the most trouble but I will certainly give it a try.

I got an answer back on the "affordable" rivet cutter that was recommended. Aluminum only. Bummer!!

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Sojouner, You gave me a good moment to laugh at myself. I blew past the quoted text and just read your reply. I sat here trying to envision how I could apply the jack to getting the rivets out
Old 03-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #33
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
I'm not quite to this stage in my construction, but had thought about doing exactly that when I saw what it looked like with the inner walls and ceiling exposed. Will report how it goes using that method. I had thought about either using the air hammer/chisel to knock the back side off, or grinding it flush and then popping it outward.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote