Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Rated Cap: 70
Removing Heaters / Looping Coolant Lines

Hello, I am at the point in my project that I am ready to remove the stock heaters. I searched the forums and can't find the awnsers I am looking for and trip to Car Quest and Ace Hardware came up with nothing.

What did you use and how did you loop your coolant hoses with? I looked at a plastic barbed ABS elbow but they at ace said coolant eats abs plastic. Also what size is the hose likely, from what I can tell it's likely an 1" and car quest has northing that size. An elbow would likely kink the hose did you all add springs or something in there?

So guys what do I need and what size? Thanks for any and all feed back.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I used barbed brass tube connectors (not exact name probably), looks a lot like this. I determined the size by cutting some of my hose tube (which I had a ton of) and bringing it with me. Good luck!
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
All you have to do is keep the coolant from leaking out. You don't have to have coolant flowing through that circuit.

You can just cut a piece of hose long enough to loop from one fitting to the other. If it kinks, no big deal. It's no different than when the valves in the heater lines are turned off during warm weather.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
so there are two methods available to you. 1 you loop the hoses internally by using the equipment already on the bus. cut a decent sized amount of the original tube about 3 feet and use the existing internal barbed cooper connectors. or two, you externally loop the coolant hose in your engine compartment and remove the internal hoses completely. there are pictures here on the forum for method one and for method two you can use your bus maint guide and youtube. i went internal but plan to do the external loop when i properly trace the hoses.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you remove the hoses under the hood then you will lose your heating and defrosting for driving...

capping those lines is the preferred way to go unless you have a bluebird conventional. on the bluebird conventional you need coolant flowing through as they are a series loop for the right / left heaters since they have 1 single interior valve for all of the heater cores.. so in that case you would loop it.. I bought 1" hose fittings off of FleaBay to use for reworking / installing new heaters..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you remove the hoses under the hood then you will lose your heating and defrosting for driving...

capping those lines is the preferred way to go unless you have a bluebird conventional. on the bluebird conventional you need coolant flowing through as they are a series loop for the right / left heaters since they have 1 single interior valve for all of the heater cores.. so in that case you would loop it.. I bought 1" hose fittings off of FleaBay to use for reworking / installing new heaters..

-Christopher
what chris said is very true, you do lose defrosting capabilities. i totally forgot that, but those are the two methods ive seen our there. id go with looping before capping, which is what i did.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Rated Cap: 70
Thanks guys for the feedback, I still have not exposed all of my heater hose's, I hope there is a fitting somewhere I could use or something I will finish taking off all of the metal covers and report back to what I find and what I did.

This forum is such an awesome place.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback, I still have not exposed all of my heater hose's, I hope there is a fitting somewhere I could use or something I will finish taking off all of the metal covers and report back to what I find and what I did.

This forum is such an awesome place.
good luck!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I looped mine at the engine on my 466td fe. It took about 20 mins to do including the drain and refill of the coolant. Your just un doing one hose clamp and cutting another hose to slip onto where you removed the return clamped hose. Not sure what bus you have but i can take a picture. If your not familiar with how the flow on the coolant works it could be a bit confusing.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I used 3/4" black pipe and built a U with three 3" sections and two 90 degree elbows.
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote