Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Removing Odors: Fulltiming With Pets

We've been fulltiming for three months now, and the bus has a SMELL. I'm not sure how I can fix it because we're in Florida, so if I clean it the smell gets worse because the cleaner doesn't ever dry due to humidity.

If you don't know about our setup, we are two humans who travel with three cats, two dogs, a goat, and a rabbit. The goat and rabbit have a pen in the back room with the toilet and the litterbox. It's always gonna be stinky back there, and that's fine because that's not the smell I'm talking about. I can clean the pen and litterbox, and eventually we'll get around to a better toilet vent situation. Somehow tank deodorizer tablets only make the smell worse!

The rest of the bus still stinks even when all the laundry has been done, the animals have been washed, and the walls, floors, furniture and ceilings have been washed with Pine-sol. The floors are stick-on tile and laminate wood. The front of the bus (driver's area) that has not been modified in any way actually smells the worst, and it's nothing but the original rubber floors and no animals ever have access to that area.

Does anyone have any tips for deodorizing this place? I know lots of you have pets and cook inside, so what do you do? Would a steam-cleaner help, or would it just make a wet mess?

Old 01-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Given that the front smells the worst, and it has the original rubber floors with plywood below..... my first guess is that you have moisture and mold in the plywood under that factory rubber floor. Maybe you can lift up a section, or perhaps just drill a hole into it and smell the sawdust that comes out? Choose a place where wetness is likely, such as near a joint in the rubber or near a hole that penetrate through the floor such as a seat mounting bolt. If this guess is correct, then the best deodorizer is removal of that wood. Anything else only attempts to mask the smell by over-powering it with something less disagreeable.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
My factory floor was pretty icky and smelly
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Now that 99% of the school bus stuff is out of mine its smelling good. Like an old abandoned VW. MMMMmmmmmm...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Our bus is entirely metal. Everywhere. No wood whatsoever, originally! When we were working on it we peeled up bits of the rubber to see what was there and it was very clean and dry sheet metal.

I bought a ton of cleaning supplies to try, so we'll see if it helps. I think a lot of the problem is due to cooking odors getting stuck in the roof fiberglass. When we return to the shop in May I'll be doing some upgrades, including some sort of kitchen ventilation that is more than open windows.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

What I did was watch Ebay like a hawk. When some GOOD powered roof vents popped up for a bargain I bought three. I posted the link and a fellow forum member bought the last one the vendor had.
$50 apiece for two powered Fantastics, and $30 for one non powered static vent.
All NIB.
I figured I'd put one in the master bedroom, one in the kitchen/living area, and one in the restroom.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
I still have the fiberglass insulation, plus I have outdoor carpet glued to all of the bus steel. Up until this past year, I didn't have any type of powered exhaust. Can't say we ever had any lingering smells from cooking... I would think my carpet would hold smells better then fiberglass insulation behind the metal? Just guessing, but I bet you have a water issue somewhere. Probably a leak somewhere that is not drying out. I fought my leaky escape hatches for a long time before I got rid of them. I first noticed them leaking from trying to figure out why the floor along the walls was always wet. They didn't leak anywhere obvious up by the hatches. They would leak inside the ceiling then slowly find a way down a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I posted the link and a fellow forum member bought the last one the vendor had.
It worked great all summer too!! Great deal
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Did you pull out the old insulation in the ceiling? I don't remember from your build thread. We have two vent panels (I guess you'd call them that up front). The panels that are all tiny holes. I would imagine if there was any mold growing in the ceiling that we might smell it there first.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz View Post
I still have the fiberglass insulation, plus I have outdoor carpet glued to all of the bus steel. Up until this past year, I didn't have any type of powered exhaust. Can't say we ever had any lingering smells from cooking... I would think my carpet would hold smells better then fiberglass insulation behind the metal? Just guessing, but I bet you have a water issue somewhere. Probably a leak somewhere that is not drying out. I fought my leaky escape hatches for a long time before I got rid of them. I first noticed them leaking from trying to figure out why the floor along the walls was always wet. They didn't leak anywhere obvious up by the hatches. They would leak inside the ceiling then slowly find a way down a wall.

It worked great all summer too!! Great deal
Glad to hear!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #10

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I was going to suggest removing the goat but you already eliminated as a potential source. Have you considered having the boyfriend move out? Just kidding.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote