Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3l Powerstroke Diesel
Removing wheelchair lift

Folks,

I'm looking for advice on how to remove the wheelchair lift from my shuttle bus. The wheelchair lift is on the passenger side, across from the driver. The bus is a partially converted '96 e350 with a 7.3 liter powerstroke. What I'm wondering is if anybody has any advice for the best way to go about this. I found several posts relating to removing a lift, but as quite a few people have done this, I was hoping for some additional input. Specifically:

1. How much does the average wheel chair lift weigh? I don't have the model number right now and the van is about an hour and a half away from me -- long story -- but I'm just looking for a general idea here; 100 pounds, 200, 300, more?

2. What is the best way to go about removing one of these behemoths? Will removing it interfer with any other functions in the van?

3. How, in general, do you operate one of these things? I'm sure I could figure it out with a little experimentation, but it be great to have something to go on.

If the model and brand of the lift would help in getting specific how-to tips, I'll be able to look for that when I visit the bus location soon.

Thanks,
Tim

timmygyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Removing wheelchair lift

My guess is that a lift weighs more like 300-400 lbs. The method I ended up using to get the lift out was to back my pickup truck up to the side door of the bus and use short 2x10 ramps to go from the bus to the truck. Once I got the lift on the bed of the truck I took it to the metal recycling yard and just pushed it off the back. It took 3 guys to load it from the bus to the truck though.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Bus Nut

You can look up the brand online, model etc. Ours was 430lbs.
We lacked the tools to remove it so offered it for free on Craigslist to whoever can safely remove it using their own tools and manpower. Took two weight lifters some serious work to manuaver it out the lift door.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be going by the bus today, so I'll pick up the model number, etc., and try to go from there. I might post it up on the forum too, if I can't find anything online.

Ascend:

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of putting a shower area in where the lift is now, but I might reconsider using them as my main door.

Diesel Dan:

Okay, that's kind of what I was thinking. I was also considering trying to lift it up with a chain hoist or something and just swing it into the truck, but if it really weighs 400+ pounds I'm not sure if I want to trust a tree branch with that much weight.

Seeria:

430lbs? Yikes...oh well, maybe mine is lighter. Not a bad idea about craigslist; I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Mine was 400+... I lowered mine to the ground, then unbolted it... With the help of a few guys, we pushed it out and let it collapse on itself...

Be very careful, someone could get badly hurt... The weight of it will cut off fingers...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I got the product number off my lift, which is a Braun. After some googling, I found both a service/installation manual and a user manual. Both were on Braun's site, though it took Google to dig them up, as Braun's site is not very well organized.

Here's a link to the directory where they have their product manuals:

http://www.braunlift.com/productinforoo ... /lifts.htm

My model (specifically L211U70ARS):

http://www.braunlift.com/productinforoo ... s-L200.htm

They have both pdf and html versions available. I haven't looked through them extensively, but I did look for the weight of my lift under specifications...452lbs.

Dirtygoat:
Quote:
Be very careful, someone could get badly hurt... The weight of it will cut off fingers...
Ya, I'm kinda attached to my fingers...literally. I'll definitely be careful if I do take this thing out. Thanks for the input.

Ascend:
Quote:
You could look into renting an engine hoist from a local auto store.
I actually have a hand powered chain lift that I've used before to pull my 6000lb bronco out of some nasty mudholes. It is intended to be an engiene hoist, so I'm sure it could handle the wheelchair lift if I go through with removing it. I'm more concerned about finding a good stout tree branch that will support around 500+ pounds.

Tim
Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: ?
Chassis: chevrolet
Engine: 292L 6
Rated Cap: ?

Why dont you unbolt ti, drive to the scrapyard, and let them pay you for the privlege to remove it with their hi-lo?
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 7.3L, International
Rated Cap: 35

For my lift I had to flip on the breaker for it, once it was running I lowered to ground as if I was going to pick up a wheelchair with it, once that was done I unhooled the wiring and unbolted it from the floor, it would not fit out the door straight on so I had to kinda shift it alittle to the right or left. Then I nearly removed my fingers when got the thing all the way out. BE VERY CAREFUL>>>> I sold mine on craigslist for 700.00, so clean yours up and perhaps you too could sell it.

Dogfinn
dogfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfinn
... I sold mine on craigslist for 700.00, so clean yours up and perhaps you too could sell it.
Aw man, you're killin' me! I had my lift on craigslist forever, with the price continually dropping and could not find a buyer for even $200. Finally had to sell it to a scrap yard for the pitful sum of $27.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #10

hi.. wheelchair lift is a adjustable, so it is easy to remove it.wheelchair lift is not permanent fitted .You can easily remove it from your bus.
cooperwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Dude that's a thread from 4 years ago...!
bancdeneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E V8 7.3L
I'm about to remove my lift so this was very helpful. Anyone in Maryland or near in need of a lift?
enoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: International IC
Engine: Maxxforce7 diesel
Rated Cap: 17500
Just removed our lift today. Took about two hours. Step one. Locate the ground and power source. Ours is a Ricon. The power source had a 100A breaker at the battery box. Turn off the breaker. Begin unbolting strategically. We lowered ours out like many described. This was a mistake! Keep it upright and stowed if you can.
I cut the power to the unit and bugged the wires off.
Step 2 was to unplug the power unit from the lift if needed.
Step 3. Should the unit be able to give you access to the 8 carriage bolts, get those out of the way,
Step 4 turn the unit perpendicular inside the bus so the lift can fit out the door!
Step 5 make a gantry or get some help lifting the 400lb unit out of the bus safely and without personal injury!
Safety first!
6windowsNadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Adventurous female (without torque or a PU truck) here. I was quoted $350 by a Bus company in GA to do the removal.
TrailsBy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:05 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailsBy11 View Post
Adventurous female (without torque or a PU truck) here. I was quoted $350 by a Bus company in GA to do the removal.
Takes about 2 hours.

See

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/r...res-36450.html
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote