Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
replacing 8d starting batteries

its looking like it time to replace my start batteries, has anyone replaced there 2 8d batteries with something smaller, and just as good if not better? it would be nice not having to drag out those 130 pound each batteries
tks
gbstewart

Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65
Re: replacing 8d starting batteries

my bus has 1 8D battery that needs replacing as well. i was thinking 2 or 3 smaller batteries with similar CCA to the 8D
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

By doing so you have to sign a paper that will forfeit your right to come on here and complain about your batteries inability to crank your bus over when its cold out.

Please sign here ___________________________________________

;)
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
By doing so you have to sign a paper that will forfeit your right to come on here and complain about your batteries inability to crank your bus over when its cold out.

Please sign here ___________________________________________

;)
I know I know, it just seems 2 - 8d batteries is a lot of cranking power, Im sure that's whats going back in, starting to look as some prices,
gbstewart
Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

One 8D is all that's needed unless you live in Alaska.

One single 8D has 1600 CCA, and will usually last all winter without dieing from self discharge.

Two group 31 battery's will have 800 CCA each for a combined 1600 CCA. They will NOT make it through a winter without being charged.

A single battery configuration will always last longer due to a few reasons.

Larger battery = larger threshold between fully charged, and dead. Meaning it will go longer on standby without use.

Single battery will get a proper charge from the Alternator. Minor differences in the battery's in multi battery configurations cause the issues, and compound as time go's on. One battery will need more charging than the other, causing the one that needed less to over charge, shortening the life span. Once one battery starts to fail, the alternator will kill the rest in the battery bank. Also the alternator may burn out from continuous max output.

All in all, here in the north, I get the biggest battery I can. I have replaced close to 50 group 31's over the last 10 years, 2 at a time in my 2003 dodge. I have only replaced one 8D since I started using them 5 years ago.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Just to make this even more confusing, My 91 dodge truck with a 5.9 Cummins only had one 1000 CCA battery. Same engine as many of our buses, just a different injection pump.

It started flawlessly with no issues right into the -30 C. However it only had enough to cycle the grid heater and crank the engine for about 5 burst's. After the 5th try, the battery was depleted.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

At the risk of being attacked as normal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
;)
We have replaced the starter battery in our 40 Ft Bluebird FE bus. It has never failed us in the years since we bought it in 2009. It is on a smart charger and also powers all our current 12vDC stuff (we will need to add a house bank this summer). It is from Wal-Mart. We used a similar SINGLE battery to crank the big 8v71N65 Detroit Diesel in our Eagle 05 just like many others who own highway coaches.
Ever Start Part #36R-3
810 cranking amps
650 cold cranking amps
Please sign here __Lorna Schinske___

PS. This is what it looked like when we cranked it up to move it after sitting for months (we cranked the bus once a month and used the battery on the food cart between times)... I think it might qualify as being "cold out". It also cranked it up quite well after sitting on the side of the highway overnight in below freezing temps. Oh wait, I must be wrong as it never snows here. Because it only sat and didn't move, it sometimes had to be turned over twice. When it's freezing and below it does have a hard time cranking up but not due to the battery. It's a diesel,it doesn't care all that much for cold. We have block heater but haven't used it. This is just what we use. What others use, I really don't care. We are proof that a single battery can and does crank a diesel engine. We have an 8.2L TA DD Fuel Pincher (http://www.ehow.com/list_7557890_82-...fications.html) Perhaps ours simply doesn't need as much to fire it up as others. I do not know. All I know is that this is what we are doing and it works for us. If it works for others, I don't care. We are in as cold a place as we plan to ever be. I'm tired of the cold temps in the teens. We have no plans to be any place that gets colder than that.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

Our 1988 Crown had 2 8D batteries. The two of them took up the entire battery compartment. We replaced these old batteries with two new AGM deep cycle batteries that are maintenance free. The two AGM batteries take up the same space as one of the old 8D batteries and have 2,200 cold cranking amps.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel
Have 2,200 cold cranking amps.

Biggest killer of starting battery's in most of our buses is prolonged standby with no charging.

Starting your big diesel engine once a month is a waist of fuel and wear and tear. 95% of engine wear happens in the first 60 seconds after starting.

Solar panel, or a 10 amp trickle charger will keep them up. Anything under 10 amps is not enough to overcome standby losses for a 8D battery in cold weather.

Second biggest killer of starting battery's is overcharging. Be sure your alternator, solar panels, wind, ect are all charging within safe specs.

Nat

Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Gmarvel, yours is an unusual use for deep cycle AGM batteries. They are usually slated for slow discharge uses and slow (controlled) recharges while the 8Ds you mentioned are usually used for rapid high draw and fast recharge such as in starting an engine. It will be interesting to see how your application works out. Do you plan to use the same AGMs as both start and house batteries or just to start? I am looking at AGMs myself. Could you post the actual size and amp hour rating of your batteries? Thanks
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Gmarvel, yours is an unusual use for deep cycle AGM batteries. They are usually slated for slow discharge uses and slow (controlled) recharges while the 8Ds you mentioned are usually used for rapid high draw and fast recharge such as in starting an engine. It will be interesting to see how your application works out. Do you plan to use the same AGMs as both start and house batteries or just to start? I am looking at AGMs myself. Could you post the actual size and amp hour rating of your batteries? Thanks
I too share your interest Ol Trunt. I was also to the understanding that most AGM batterys have a low draw rating, and may be damaged by charging with a alternator. I didn't comment on that because I figured by now maybe they make AGM starting battery's.

Nat

Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

I am sorry for not responding sooner. I missed the posting.

My AGM starter batteries are designed to start large vehicles, according to the experts I consulted. These starter batteries will be separate from a bank of four AGM house batteries. My experts are the guys at the RV and bus maintenance company that are helping me with some of my conversion issues. I was just there today and they had three Prevost coaches, two Crown Coach buses, a Thomas transit, and a Blue Bird in the garage area alone. They tell me that they put AGM starter batteries in these big boys all the time with no problems. My conversion is a Crown Coach so it certainly would be considered a large vehicle.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote