Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: replacing 8d starting batteries

Originally Posted by ol trunt
Gmarvel, yours is an unusual use for deep cycle AGM batteries. They are usually slated for slow discharge uses and slow (controlled) recharges while the 8Ds you mentioned are usually used for rapid high draw and fast recharge such as in starting an engine. It will be interesting to see how your application works out. Do you plan to use the same AGMs as both start and house batteries or just to start? I am looking at AGMs myself. Could you post the actual size and amp hour rating of your batteries? Thanks
I too share your interest Ol Trunt. I was also to the understanding that most AGM batterys have a low draw rating, and may be damaged by charging with a alternator. I didn't comment on that because I figured by now maybe they make AGM starting battery's.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Bus Nut
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
Re: replacing 8d starting batteries

I am sorry for not responding sooner. I missed the posting.

My AGM starter batteries are designed to start large vehicles, according to the experts I consulted. These starter batteries will be separate from a bank of four AGM house batteries. My experts are the guys at the RV and bus maintenance company that are helping me with some of my conversion issues. I was just there today and they had three Prevost coaches, two Crown Coach buses, a Thomas transit, and a Blue Bird in the garage area alone. They tell me that they put AGM starter batteries in these big boys all the time with no problems. My conversion is a Crown Coach so it certainly would be considered a large vehicle.
Greg and Donna Marvel

Danville, California
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote