Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Replacing A Leaky Bus Window

Do you mean the vinyl stripping the glass itself actually sits in? If that's the case...

To remove the glass from the window frame, you will have to pull the whole thing out, unscrew the window frame from it's self, then remove the screws that hold the metal extrusions to the glass. Slip the weatherstripping off of the glass, wash/soak the weather stripping in hot soapy water. You may need a bristle brush to remove the dirt (I used a fingernail brush I bought at Wal-Mart of around $1). I simply washed all our weather stripping on the bus windows we reused. I still have a bag of most of the extras. I have the glass too. I don't know what to do with all that tempered glass. You may need to soak overnight. I also used a little bleach in my water (with laundry soap... don't use bleach with dish detergent) but we had bad mildew and moss on our weatherstripping. You may need to wet the weather stripping in hot water so that it will stretch better to get it back on the CLEAN glass. Use a razor blade to scrape the residue left from years of dirt and water. You will not get it all off. I think the dirt etches the glass over time and vibration. Put everything back together, Remove the old caulking/mastic. Clean bus side very well, especially if they used silicone. If silicone was used, you have to get it ALL off, down to clean paint. Use either mastic (comes in a tube like caulking) or a really good caulk (like a clear elastometric from roofing section or a 25 year or better door & window caulk - siliconized but not pure silicone). We used a 35 year siliconized latex caulking that we have used a great deal in the past. It took several days for it to dry out here in NM because it would skin over too fast which meant the interior cured much more slowly than we were used to. We learned to allow a week before messing with anyting we caulked in. I think the clear elastometic cures much faster (we have been using Henry's 212 in many places) but is not water clean up.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I did a "clean in place" for the glass in the rear of the bus (two little windows on each side of the emergency door along with the glass in the rear emergency door). the door glass was leaking (just like the entry door glass was). I completely removed the glass in the entry door, gooped up with copious amounts Henrys 212 Clear, re-installed, let the 212 completely dry and trimmed excess off with a razor blade. It was a difficult, messy job but it looks great and is definitely sealed.
I "lifted" the exterior rubber seal off the windshield glass (and where it met the body) and slathered 212 clear in there as well (after first cleaning out dirt with a rag & Popsicle/craft stick). Then let completely dry before cleaning excess off with a razor blade. In case you haven't noticed, I really like the Henry's 212 Clear. The great thing is you can use it on wet stuff. Great for patching a leak when you can't get things completely dry and it's about to rain again.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Bus Geek

I wouldnt install upside down,mainly because it will give water a "lip" to settle in and leak down the inside of the glass and then on floor bedding etc.
Look at one of the windows and use your judgement
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

not all windows upside down will leak but that one, just ONE that you put in probably will! lol
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote