Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Reuse Interior Panels?

Newbie question--I have searched, but can't find anything about this so far. When I search on "reuse panels," most of the threads I get are about solar panels or other panels. And I've scrolled through numerous build threads and such trying to find this, but no luck.

Anyway, here is my question: Can you reuse the interior wall panels of the bus to cover window holes? I see most people use sheet metal, but why can't the metal they already have be used in this way? Is it a different kind of metal, or does it usually just get torn up in the removal process?

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisicat View Post
Newbie question--I have searched, but can't find anything about this so far. When I search on "reuse panels," most of the threads I get are about solar panels or other panels. And I've scrolled through numerous build threads and such trying to find this, but no luck.

Anyway, here is my question: Can you reuse the interior wall panels of the bus to cover window holes? I see most people use sheet metal, but why can't the metal they already have be used in this way? Is it a different kind of metal, or does it usually just get torn up in the removal process?

Thanks.
I read somewhere that you can just don't remember where
Turtle886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The texture looks unappealing. Thats the only reason I scrapped mine. I actually have some stored for.use, just not sure what to use em for something not visible...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
I intend on doing just that. It appears I will have enough to cover all the windows I intend to cover (about half of them). That is, if I do not do a roof raise. My panels, once removed laid perfectly flat, and I've since leaned them up against my fence for storage and they are still staying nice and straight.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Mic the metal to determine the gauge. If it is consistent with the rest of the body work, you will be fine.

Free=Good.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:57 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I used the interior ceiling panels to cover the windows in my shed build. I had them sheared to size on a 12 foot shear, then installed with screws.

The shed build is in some of the last pages of this build.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...-haul-all.html

Keep in mind many of the panels will have holes from interior lights, speakers, ect.

If they have a hole, just rivet another piece of steel over it.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Hooray! That is awesome. If I'm going to be able to do this, I need to keep costs down, down, down, but I still want decent quality. It's good to know it's possible. Thanks.