Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
gzimmerman372's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 48
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L (Navistar T444E)
Rewiring Strobe Lights

Has anyone rewired the rear strobes to be tied into the turn signals for the orange lights and the brakes for the red lights?
gzimmerman372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 457
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Yep. Worked like a charm. I swapped the reds in the front out for amber (so I have two ambers on each side) and rigged them up to my turn signal as well. I did replace with LEDs though, as I liked the idea of now changing bulbs out + lower power consumption.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
gzimmerman372's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 48
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L (Navistar T444E)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Yep. Worked like a charm. I swapped the reds in the front out for amber (so I have two ambers on each side) and rigged them up to my turn signal as well. I did replace with LEDs though, as I liked the idea of now changing bulbs out + lower power consumption.
That's awesome! Glad to hear others have done it! For the back I can easily see where to tie in because it's simply just further down the same wall, but for the front, did you run the wiring all the way to the closest blinker (blinking light?)
gzimmerman372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Thomas1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fayetteville Arkansas
Posts: 419
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Yea if you gut it you will be able to see it easily. I'm thinking about making mine color changing and run them off solar batteries for when I'm camping at festivals
__________________
- Thomas

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Thomas1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fayetteville Arkansas
Posts: 419
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Yea if you gut it you will be able to see it easily. I'm thinking about making mine color changing and run them off solar batteries for when I'm camping at festivals
__________________
- Thomas

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 457
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzimmerman372 View Post
That's awesome! Glad to hear others have done it! For the back I can easily see where to tie in because it's simply just further down the same wall, but for the front, did you run the wiring all the way to the closest blinker (blinking light?)
No. In my bus, at least, the front flasher wires come in above the drivers dash and into a bundle that comes down on the left of the driver seat. All of the wires were color coded or labeled. All the wires from the back of the bus track along the driver side wall in a bundle and meet up in almost the same area. It was just a matter of finding the right wires and pigtailing them together. Easy peasy.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
gzimmerman372's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 48
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L (Navistar T444E)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
No. In my bus, at least, the front flasher wires come in above the drivers dash and into a bundle that comes down on the left of the driver seat. All of the wires were color coded or labeled. All the wires from the back of the bus track along the driver side wall in a bundle and meet up in almost the same area. It was just a matter of finding the right wires and pigtailing them together. Easy peasy.
Did you tie up as close to the turn signal knob as possible or would it work fine to basically just pull the wire from the bundles and tap it into the actually turn signal/brake wire right where it goes into the light itself? If that makes sense...do I need to wire to the beginning of the circuit or can it be on the tail end, basically.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
gzimmerman372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Thomas1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fayetteville Arkansas
Posts: 419
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
You can join the wires anywhere
__________________
- Thomas

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.