Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Ridding Moisture in a Skoolie

Has anyone out there ever tried the Damp Rid packs?

I've used them for the last year in my basement, my boat, my cars and I can't recommend them enough.

I seem to remember a couple of posts where members mentioned a bus's susceptibility to the effects of humidity, such as collecting moisture/condesation and so on.

As a result, I hung a damp rid pack in mine and in less than a week, the collection bag was 1/4 full!

I live in OH where it tends to get humid and I haven't insulated my bus to the extent many of you have, but either way I wanted to share this with the group.

It wicks a lot of moisture out of the air and it's done wonders for keeping all my toys dry, fresh smelling and mold & mildew free.

They aren't cheap but you can buy them at just about any store - Target, Lowes, etc.

Ottomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
very interesting. Do you have a link or anything like that?

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The link to their site is http://www.damprid.com.

I prefer, and almost use exclusively, the hanging bags. They're 8 bucks a piece at Lowes but they sell them on their site for $5.50 plus shipping.

They're designed such that the upper pouch is filled with some sort of moisture wicking silica or something and the bottom pouch is the collection area.

I took the following info directly from their site:

Hanging Moisture Absorber - 14 oz. (FG80)

Key Benefit: Disposable Scented Moisture Absorber

Dimensions: L 6” x D 1.33” x H 9.5”

While the DampRid Hanging Moisture Absorber features a fresh scent, it doesn’t mask musty odors, it eliminates them and turns stagnant air into fresher, healthier air.

Designed to last approximately 60 days, the disposable Hanging Moisture Absorber absorbs up to one quart of excess moisture from the air. This product is ideal for reducing allergens, eliminating odors and absorbing moisture in small, enclosed spaces, including:

• Clothes Closets
• Bathrooms
• Laundry Rooms
• Storage Closets
• Basements
• Garages
• Stored
Boats/RVs/Classic Cars

Usage Tip: Place a DampRid Hanging Moisture Absorber in your gym locker to eliminate odors and absorb dampness.

NOTE: FREE Shipping & Handling. Each order includes 6 units of this item. Each unit contains 14 oz. of product.

$32.99
Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
So are they just overgrown silica packets like you get in new shoes and beef jerky?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Those packet say not to eat them, but it's a lie. They are actually quite tasty.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

This is good to know and to have a testimonial from someone who has actually used them. I have to admit to having been skeptical on the basis that a quart of water out of humid air really isn't much. But if it makes a difference in real life usage, great! I may have to give some a try. My bus is pretty dry, but we are coming up on the humid season.
BusNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I referenced the silica only for lack of a better description. The Damp rid bags are much, much larger and the wicking media in these packs disolves as the moisture is pulled from the air, which doesn't seem to occur in the small packs used in jerky, shoes, etc.

Depending on the season and where you live, a full-size skoolie is probably large enough to justify a couple of of these hanging bags. It's not gonna keep the bus bone dry per se, but it will take a lot of moisture out of the air and keep the bus smelling fresh.

I took my skoolie on it's maiden voyage a few weeks ago. It was a kayaking/camping trip during which we got rained on. As a result, my interior was wet & damp and would've been a lot more stinky if not for my Damp Rid bags.

It's not the end all, be all but for 8 bucks it's worth a shot. I'm curious to see the feedback from the group members that try it out.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Thanks for the info. It is a bit sad that all that packaging just gets thrown out though . I was hoping for refilable inserts or somthing. I suspect I will give it a shot when using the bus in winter at ski hills or even just storing it as it is closed up and a little moisture help would be an asset.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Almost There

Another option if you have AC power is a dehumidifier. A small one will run about $100 at Wally World. Which to me seems like a sounder investment than continuously buying $8 bags. Though I will probably get some for those trips where we aren't near AC hookup.

Though if you must have a hanging thing, get some rope and suspend the dehumidifier from the ceiling...
Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I'm going to be installing a small dehumidifier in my bus to eliminate winter time moisture build-up... I've had a small problem in the TT the last couple of years, and the bus is big enough to find a place for one of these...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Catainkf-

You don't have to use the bags. They offer refillable containers. I use the latter in my basement but in my vehicles I prefer the bags, as opposed to having a container full of water sloshing around as I drive.

I'm 100% in agreement with you as far as minimizing waste goes, but it's just not practical in this application.