Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
**** man, I'm an hour and twenty minutes away. I drove five hours to help inhof009 raise his roof, I'd be happy to come rivet.
Probably less than that. The bus is at Aberdeen Proving Ground which is up I-95 closer to Philly.

I won't say no tho I am busy this weekend and next. I can make time either of those weekends (I think) for at least one of the days. Actually thinking about that, the weekend of 29th is the Tacos and Taps festival so it's a Baltimore* weekend anyway.

*Weekends are either Baltimore or Elizabethtown, PA (gf lives there). On Etown weekends I can't get any bus work done.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
to run some air tools like grinders etc, you need a 7.5 HP, 40 amp motor, an 80 gal tank, with a 2 stage compressor providing 24 cfm @ 90 lbs- that will set you back about $2500 +/- - or rent one
Holy crap!!! I don't think I need a pneumatic grinder then. That's a metric $hit-ton of air.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Quote:
that will set you back about $2500 +/- -
Wait, is that USD or Canadian? If it's Canadian, I don't mind spending $1.97. I might even round it up to TWO WHOLE dollars and let you keep the change.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Forgot the link...
Show Info - Baltimore, MD | Tacos N Taps
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
The bus is at Aberdeen Proving Ground
"I got a great deal on a parking spot, it's in this huge field where they store a bunch of burned-out vehicles!"

My schedule is pretty open, I can come down and help any time.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
"I got a great deal on a parking spot, it's in this huge field where they store a bunch of burned-out vehicles!"
Lol, that's the other side of the other fence. As long as they don't misplace the decimal point, I should be good.

In all seriousness tho, it's a great deal. Half the price of a standard RV lot, it has power. And break-ins? It's on an Army base with armed guards, in a fenced yard with a combo lock. That is one ballsy crackhead. Tho some dude said someone was siphoning diesel out of the RVs when I first moved in. Hopefully the idiot put it in his lawn mower and blew it up. I haven't had any problems.

Quote:
My schedule is pretty open, I can come down and help any time.
Really? Definitely won't say no. Bucking rivets is so easy a tall 8 yr old could do it. Problem is, I don't have a tall 8 yr old. Bucking rivets solo (as far as I know) is unpossible.

I'm out there Mon, Tues, and Thurs nights from 4 to 7ish depending on weather. Yestday was just too muggy and I wasn't feeling it. Weekends I would have to drag the gf to Baltimore in which case I've got someone as tall as a short 8 yr old. Now if she's busy doing girl stuff with her daughters (upcoming wedding), I can certainly beg off a day to do bus stuff.

Ok, so short story long, when are you available/willing and I'll be there. Beggars can't be choosers.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Guess I should drill some more rivet holes. Then when I do get you, the gf, or a co-worker out, I can go to town and get those damn rivets finished!!

P.S. Will work in trade too. If you help a few hours, I'll help if/when you need it.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Wait, is that USD or Canadian? If it's Canadian, I don't mind spending $1.97. I might even round it up to TWO WHOLE dollars and let you keep the change.

I think that was a US site I was looking at - the compressor I had that produced that sort of air, gas powered, was the equivalent in 1993 $'s
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
I think that was a US site I was looking at - the compressor I had that produced that sort of air, gas powered, was the equivalent in 1993 $'s
Gas powered with those numbers? That would be 2500 Euros or whatever else makes the US dollar look like $1.97. I didn't know such things existed. Not sure a gas powered air compressor of that size would be cheaper than buying a genny and electric compressor.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Gas powered with those numbers? That would be 2500 Euros or whatever else makes the US dollar look like $1.97. I didn't know such things existed. Not sure a gas powered air compressor of that size would be cheaper than buying a genny and electric compressor.

I worked on one job where we hooked six x 1000 cfm compressors together, strung 6" air lines over the top of a 250' high dam so we could sandblast some steel on the other side of the dam - then hung 3 man swing stages from the top of the dam to reach the steel that should have been blasted and painted before it was installed - the reason we needed so much air is because of the losses suffered in lines as long as we had to use to reach the steel - I don't remember how many of us were pulling our guts out getting that 6" line over the dam, but I do remember the open hole on top of the dam ( future elevator ) that we had to snake the line past - if one guy had slipped and fell, or one man let go, a lot of hardworking men would have been sucked down that 250' deep elevator shaft - there was a painter killed there after I had finished my stint there - one of the skeleton crew there to do pre-inspection touchups had just completed the touch ups on the over head arch, climbed down his ladder, set down his paint and took a step back to inspect the job he had completed - stumbled, knocked over one of the saw horses blocking the hole, and fell into the hole - the saw horses had been placed there as a safety precaution after we had complained about the open hole - safety was not a big priority in 1967
Old 06-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Quote:
my gas powered compressor had a 20?+ horse power Koehler 4 cycle motor on it - cast iron sleeves in the compressor - I mounted it on a trailer or mounted it in the back of my cube van, depending on what was needed for the job
Old 06-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
my gas powered compressor had a 20?+ horse power Koehler 4 cycle motor on it - cast iron sleeves in the compressor - I mounted it on a trailer or mounted it in the back of my cube van, depending on what was needed for the job
Was it also a genny? I still think I'd go that route. 40 amps out of a genny will cost you $700? Then add an electric compressor to it. An 80 gallon compressor isn't going to go up 37 flights of stairs but at least the two are semi-portable. 20 hp cast iron engine is NOT.

Home Depot has an 80 gal 2 stage 14 cfm for $1250. 8KW genny for $750. I dunno if they are both 120 or 220 capable.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If the mandrel is breaking off prematurely how on earth is increasing the pressure going to over come that? 90psi out of any compressor should be plenty to secure rivets.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Was it also a genny? I still think I'd go that route. 40 amps out of a genny will cost you $700? Then add an electric compressor to it. An 80 gallon compressor isn't going to go up 37 flights of stairs but at least the two are semi-portable. 20 hp cast iron engine is NOT.

Home Depot has an 80 gal 2 stage 14 cfm for $1250. 8KW genny for $750. I dunno if they are both 120 or 220 capable.
I was posting that info more for general interest - even at 24 cfm, that compressor would have hard time keeping up to an air grinder - in my job, the compressor was used to provide the air for an air motor driven airless paint sprayer, ( 9 cfm ) while at the same time was being used for blowing dust away from surfaces to be painted, and/or a small sand blaster - it allowed us to work independently off the grid - a generator would have meant getting another expensive piece of equipment - my area has a lot of 'rural' to deal with
Old 06-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
Lol, that's the other side of the other fence. As long as they don't misplace the decimal point, I should be good.

In all seriousness tho, it's a great deal. Half the price of a standard RV lot, it has power. And break-ins? It's on an Army base with armed guards, in a fenced yard with a combo lock. That is one ballsy crackhead. Tho some dude said someone was siphoning diesel out of the RVs when I first moved in. Hopefully the idiot put it in his lawn mower and blew it up. I haven't had any problems.

Really? Definitely won't say no. Bucking rivets is so easy a tall 8 yr old could do it. Problem is, I don't have a tall 8 yr old. Bucking rivets solo (as far as I know) is unpossible.

I'm out there Mon, Tues, and Thurs nights from 4 to 7ish depending on weather. Yestday was just too muggy and I wasn't feeling it. Weekends I would have to drag the gf to Baltimore in which case I've got someone as tall as a short 8 yr old. Now if she's busy doing girl stuff with her daughters (upcoming wedding), I can certainly beg off a day to do bus stuff.

Ok, so short story long, when are you available/willing and I'll be there. Beggars can't be choosers.
I could come down really any time other than Wednesdays (that's my welding class at the local CC). If you're doing anything Thursday afternoon, that could work.

Skoolie karma!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Anybody know of a place to buy a small number of 1/4" plier-operated clecos? Every place I've found that sells these requires a minimum order of $50.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Quote:
I was posting that info more for general interest
Oh I get that but...

[quopte]- even at 24 cfm, that compressor would have hard time keeping up to an air grinder - in my job, the compressor was used to provide the air for an air motor driven airless paint sprayer, ( 9 cfm ) while at the same time was being used for blowing dust away from surfaces to be painted, and/or a small sand blaster - it allowed us to work independently off the grid - a generator would have meant getting another expensive piece of equipment - my area has a lot of 'rural' to deal with[/QUOTE]If the combined price were the same... which I don't know if the numbers work or not for the CFM and current needed. Then yes I have 2 pieces of equipment to haul around but I could use them independently. On the next job site there is electric so I only nee the compressor. The other job site only needs electric and no compressor. Will it ever work out that nicely? Probably not but still a nice option in my book.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
I could come down really any time other than Wednesdays (that's my welding class at the local CC). If you're doing anything Thursday afternoon, that could work.

Skoolie karma!
Thursday works for me but I dunno about the weather. The forecast is calling for T-storms from 3 to 5 with scattered T-storms before and after. Hate for you to drive down here and get rained out.

Quote:
Anybody know of a place to buy a small number of 1/4" plier-operated clecos? Every place I've found that sells these requires a minimum order of $50.
How many do you need? I ordered 50 from Amazon and most of them are laying about. Some of the holes are too big for even the 1/4". I could use more 3/16" so I don't have to keep relocating them. I just don't need 23987457 of them especially when I'm done with the sheet metal.

Anywho, short story long again, if you need a dozen or so I'll give them to you in exchange for work. How's that?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
(that's my welding class at the local CC).
How much is that costing you? I want to take a class at open works but it's more safety based and only 3 or 4 hrs (not even days much less weeks or months). After taking the first metal safety class there, I wanted my $62 back. Instructor dude was letting noobs use an angle grinder and flexing the bland with a cut-off disk. I've got some really cool scars from that already. I went to the other side of the shop.

I'd like more than "How's this look" but without the $1700 cost of a full class on underwater TIG welding.

Quote:
Thursday works for me but I dunno about the weather. The forecast is calling for T-storms from 3 to 5 with scattered T-storms before and after. Hate for you to drive down here and get rained out.
Friday is a better forecast. Checking with the Ginge to see if she wants to come down Fri night. Would be awesome to get you Friday evening and then her Saturday.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
How much is that costing you? I want to take a class at open works but it's more safety based and only 3 or 4 hrs (not even days much less weeks or months). After taking the first metal safety class there, I wanted my $62 back. Instructor dude was letting noobs use an angle grinder and flexing the bland with a cut-off disk. I've got some really cool scars from that already. I went to the other side of the shop.

Friday is a better forecast. Checking with the Ginge to see if she wants to come down Fri night. Would be awesome to get you Friday evening and then her Saturday.
Welding class is $480 and that's for (theoretically) 43 classroom/lab hours. Teacher is a welding engineer that oversees a welding/machining shop for a nuclear power plant, so he seems to know his stuff. So far I've just been trying to run straight beads since I'm a total newb, but I hope to someday graduate to sticking two pieces of metal together.

I'm down for Friday. I may come in my bus for the hell of it.