Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Rivet question

I'm going to be doing a roof raise. When it is time to re-rivet, where is the best place to buy them? Do you have to have two people (one inside and one outside) and an air rivet gun to put them back in? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
You dont need two people if you use pop rivets and a gun.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Just read few pages and you will get an idea what and how.....

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/98...outs-9728.html

I used a lot of pop rivets and a lot of solid rivets for slideout. There are pros and cons.....
Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I bought all my rivets from Rivets & More: Fasteners, Rivets and Tools | Byler Rivet
and used a Harbor freight rivet gun.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Finding rivets here was too hard. A good rivet gun was over $500 and I don't use junk tools.

So I used 1/4 bolts.

Best part was they were cheaper that the rivets would have been.

Pics are here.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ime-10138.html

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
For all my bulk fastener needs I buy from Rastall. They officially serve Northern Ontario as well as parts of Quebec, but they may ship elsewhere. They have fantastic customer service and, in the larger towns they service, they have representatives who will deliver the products to your doorstep for free! I don't know if they'd be of much use to you, Roadrunner, but hopefully someone can get use out of the info.

Rastall sells fasteners from a bunch of companies. I purchased big boxes of Spaenaur's solid rivets.

I tried the local Fastenal initially.. They were a bunch of useless tools. The employees were dumb as stones and the manager didn't want to deal with shipping inventory from other Fastenal stores. It seemed like they were doing everything in their power to drive customers away.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I've been ordeing from rivetsinstock.com
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I'm in the pacific northwest and bought rivets from tacoma screw.

I picked up a rivet gun buck bar kit off amazon.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I'm in the pacific northwest and bought rivets from tacoma screw.

I picked up a rivet gun buck bar kit off amazon.
I think it is a good idea first to check your local guys. I found very reasonable prices in Vancouver BC at Pacific Fasteners when I was shopping for stainless screws.

I used only stainless closed end rivets for all outside riveting and it was a challenge to find them at reasonable price..... I found some good deals on eBay and some online fasteners stores....
Old 04-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider View Post
I've been ordeing from rivetsinstock.com
I bought a lot of my rivets from them. They are also rivetsonline, and some other site redirect to them. The rivets are ok but people a HORRIBLE. Their owner Allan is arrogant and ignorant.

They screwed up my order and instead of making it work just showed me the middle finger.... In two words....NEVER AGAIN.....
Old 04-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Vlad I really like your attitude on poor service. I also enjoy your can do attitude, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the progress with the rest of us.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I bought a lot of my rivets from them. They are also rivetsonline, and some other site redirect to them. The rivets are ok but people a HORRIBLE. Their owner Allan is arrogant and ignorant.

They screwed up my order and instead of making it work just showed me the middle finger.... In two words....NEVER AGAIN.....
Interisting, I've ordered from them quit a few times so far havn't had a issue, in fact just got another delivery today
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'm having a rough time choosing rivets. The material and size in particular are difficult. The hat channel in my bus is pre-punched with lots of holes; it's easy to measure that these are around 0.190 inch and so I guess they're intended for 3/16" rivets. The 3/16" Cleco fits these holes nicely. But every place where I removed a factory rivet, the hole is larger. It almost looks as if it could have held a 7/32" rivet, but I'm left wondering why the channel would be made with holes that are smaller than the rivets they'll use.

I understand solid rivets are supposed to deform on the end to secure the pieces together, but do they swell all along their length too so that what starts as a 3/16" hole through the parts actually grows to look like a 7/32" hole?

The material choice isn't so obvious to me. I'm joining steel, primarily galvanized but also some mild. Hard and soft aluminum and 18-8 stainless are readily available from Byler Rivet. The somewhat maligned rivetsonline.com also has plain steel rivets.

What about length? The guy I spoke with at rivetsonline.com says the rule of thumb is [part thickness]+[1.25 * rivet diameter], then round up. So for joining hat channel to the chair rail, which I think uses a 1/4" diameter, I've got two pieces of .083 thickness. 2*.082+1.25*.25 comes to 0.4725 -- a half inch length rivet. Is that really right? It seems crazy long.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Are you speaking of solid rivets? The holes do deform from the use of the rivets. Even so, I didn't have any problem filling the extra large space with 3/16" solid rivets. I played around with a couple lengths before getting the knack of it. It's real easy to tell with solid rivets:
Old 04-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
Skoolie

Here is areal photo of real rivets I used. They are solid aluminum 1/4" diameter. I squished one in vise a bit. This is what happening to rivet:

So, rivet does expand/swell a lot inside, we usually don't see this. Rivet can easily push sheet metal around it.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Old holes are stretched from the old rivets being installed, and from a life of movement.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Heh. Yeah, I guess I left out the "solid" part.. important little detail. Thanks for the picture link. Seeing it graphically like that suddenly it makes more sense... except that their bucked rivet cylinder of 1.5Dx0.5D would have more volume than the original Dx1.5D cylinder began with. I won't ask how that works, but anyway it looks like the 1.25D-1.5D rule of thumb checks out.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Heh. Yeah, I guess I left out the "solid" part.. important little detail. Thanks for the picture link. Seeing it graphically like that suddenly it makes more sense... except that their bucked rivet cylinder of 1.5Dx0.5D would have more volume than the original Dx1.5D cylinder began with. I won't ask how that works, but anyway it looks like the 1.25D-1.5D rule of thumb checks out.
The rivet on left is 1/2" from bottom to top. The straight portion is 3/8". I riveted 2 pieses of 1/8" and even 3 pieces (drilled cone hole on other side).

So I used 1D rule and it worked great. If you leave too much sometimes rivet tends to bend/fold.

Anything from 1D to 1.5D will work you will simply have more rivet material behind....

If your holes are bigger they will "consume" some of your rivet hight.

Pop rivets are much more sensitive to drill size, solid ones will forgive you.....

Funny, I am riveting my slide out frame right now. ....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Pop rivets are much more sensitive to drill size, solid ones will forgive you.....
Thanks, that's the best news I've heard all day!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
I just ordered a bunch of rivets from Bolt Depot. I had previously used closed-end rivets from RivetsInStock.com but I think the only ones they have are aluminum and stainless steel. I used the aluminum 1/4" ones to patch holes in the floor of my bus before I knew what galvanic corrosion was, haha.

Here is the prices on their rivets, steel mandrel / rivet. Pretty good if you ask me:

And the Harbor Freight 1/4" rivet gun works real well. I know wmkbailey used one to put 1,000+ rivets in his bus to skin over the windows and for the roof raise. I know some are opposed to their tools because they are usually unforgivably crappy but that rivet gun seems to be one of those gifts that keeps on giving.

I'm with family wagon on drill size though. A 1/4" bit is a little too small for a 1/4" rivet usually but instead of going a drill bit size up, I usually just ream the hole out a little with the drill and it works fine. If you're in a spot where that s tough or if you are using a drill press I would use a bit that is 1/32" up (9/32 for a 1/4" rivet etc).
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote