Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Rivet spacing

I know someone has the answer to this as a lot of you guys have done this. My window skins need more rivits what is the ideal spacing with out over doing it and not to under do it?

Im going to use 1/4" rivits.

Thanks for your input

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71
Re: Rivit spacing

What do you have currently as spacing between rivets and what gauge sheet metal is being used? Are your skins smaller sections or larger sections (covering one or more windows per section)?

Personally I do not think you will have much of a problem with overdoing the rivets. As long as they are not buttoned right up next to one another (or spaced far to apart) you should be fine. Even on my bus there are seams where the rivets are spaced at roughly ~1" apart and at times spaced upwards of 2-3" or more. It all depends really on the gauge of the skins themselves, what stresses they will be expecting to take on those parts of the bus and how/where they are mounted structurally to the bus itself. To many rivets in metal is a kin to putting to many nails in a 2x4, rendering the structural strength of the material to be weaker. Too many is overkill as you stated... just as not enough will lack in structural strength.

Edit: You may notice that where the seams and edges overlap/end that there are more rivets as opposed to the number of rivets in places they attach off of the edges (centrally located within a sheet for example). I am not a professional metal worker, and I assume you have the understanding of what I said earlier in my reply. Perhaps others will chime in as I do not see a consensus as I look into other threads of those who have done the same kind of thing. It seems to be one of those tidbits people leave out.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I think the skin is probably 16 or 18 ga steel so its held on with probably 3-4 rivits currently. So I was thinking your spacing of 2-3 inches will be fine. I know when I add some square tubing ill have to rivit them there also. So your info helps. I have a bad problem of over doing it so Im trying not to here.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Its an old joke but I can't resist. drill and fill as many rivit holes as you can---toilet paper never tears on the dotted line.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)

Quote:
I have a bad problem of over doing it
As do I... even with replies.

Quote:
Its an old joke but I can't resist. drill and fill as many rivit holes as you can---toilet paper never tears on the dotted line.
That's the best advice. Like, ever. I'd simply fill rivets every inch or two and call it good.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Thats my plan.

Thanks for the input. I have ordered 250 rivits and will go get a rivit gun from Harbor freight and some good drill bits and get after it.

Thanks

Bapos
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Looking closer at my bus this afternoon, it looks like we ran the rivets about every 1-2 inches. We spent the money for a pneumatic rivet gun. What a life saver that was.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Yes I am going to pick up a pneumatic one this friday from harbor frieght. I have heard that a lot about them being life savers.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I was just kidding--don't over do it on the rivits. If you need extra support try a backing plate and/or zig zag the rivit pattern to incorporate a greater surface area. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Anyone use this rivet gun from harbor freight. I know they are not the best in the world. Its 69.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ter-98898.html

I got a 20% off coupon so that will help a little. It only has a 90 day warranty and I will get a 1 or 2 yr extension cause Im sure it will break sooner or later.

Any thoughts. I know somethings are ok there and others are junk.

Thanks

Bapos
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Re: Rivet spacing

I have bought a few items from Harbor Frieght, I came to the conculsion that If I want the tool to last a lifetime I don't buy it from them. However if I just need it to do a couple projects the stuff works for that. It beats the heck out of the paying for the premium stuff just to have it set on the mantel as a show piece and never using it again, plus you can buy four of those for the cost of the premium ones.... Just my thoughts for what its worth.

On the rivet spacing my plan was to place a rivet back in the orginal holes however many it took. there is a reason that the builder did it, if they could have did less they would have. I'm not an engineer and can't afford to sleep in a Holiday Inn

https://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Bus Nut

I pretty much feel the same way about their tools. I dont think I will rivet a lot to be honest but maybe Im wrong. I see some other rivetors out there for like 2 and 300 dollars. I just dont see me making that investment for the skinning of the windows and other smaller things. Maybe Im wrong but but you guys will know if its a tool that needs a premium investment. I havent used on in 30+ yrs but I didnt have a bus then either?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

A cool trick i read about getting your rivets spaced evenly around uneven surfaces: Take a wide rubber band + cut it. Take a Sharpie and make a bunch of marks evenly spaced-then stretch your rubber band around the area you need to mark out. Never tried it but it sounds logical.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Example...I allows buy my 4-1/2 grinders from northern,I get 2 for less than $50,I know I can abuse the hell out one.
I have used them til they smoke(oops) and they keep going.
I always have a spare when one dies I buy 1 more for $20 as a sapre they last me a couple years.well worth it.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Good hint. Ive done that with cutting pipeing on propane tanks to get the cuts straight? Good idea i can see it working here.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Corbeil
Engine: T444e

That is the rivet gun that we are using, and we have done probably 1500 rivets already. It works great but will snap the stem of the rivet if the pressure is to high. Other then that we have had no problems
Alex and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
Bus Nut

What pressure seems to work for your gun? I got gun today so we may rivet up some tomorrow
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Corbeil
Engine: T444e

Over 90 psi I started to have problems, so I set my regulator at 85 psi. I am pretty sure thats what it says right on the tool, so go figure eh... lol.
Alex and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: DT466 / AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
What pressure seems to work for your gun? I got gun today so we may rivet up some tomorrow
Let me know how it works I'm getting old and weak in my old age I may just have to go and get one, this Manual labor is for the birds

https://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Ill let you know on sunday how the riveter worked out. I got everything in order to punch some this weekend so we will see.

Question...

The maker suggests a #11 drill bit which is some odd ball size. I bought some 3/16 drill bits for this since I am using 3/16 rivets. They say the 3/16 will fit up to a 1/4 hole and close up?

You think I will have any issues?

Thanks again for everyones help.

Bapos