Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Rivnut question

I bought a rivnut kit and then I ordered some of these closed end rivet nuts: https://www.rivetsonline.com/closed-...e/rn1032130sle

Unfortunately, I just noticed that they're 10-32 and my rivnut kit only has a nosepiece for 10-24. Does anybody know where I can find 10-24 closed end rivet nuts?

Also, am I correct in my assumption that the regular open rivnuts would not be watertight even with something screwed into them? I'm planning on re-mounting my 7" round tail lights with these, and I'm assuming I need to use closed end rivet nuts to prevent leaks, but maybe I don't?

Old 09-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Try these folks Reid Supply - Thread Inserts, Tools & Kits - Tooling, Positioning & Fastening for the rivnuts. Can you RTV around the outside edges of the seated nuts?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Try these folks Reid Supply - Thread Inserts, Tools & Kits - Tooling, Positioning & Fastening for the rivnuts. Can you RTV around the outside edges of the seated nuts?
Thanks, but Reid Supply doesn't seem to have the closed end variety. I just checked my new lights and 1/4-20s fit just about perfectly in their screw holes so I ordered some closed end in that size (which I have a nosepiece for) and they should do the trick (although I don't like that they're galvanized instead of stainless).

Is RTV some kind of sealant? I'm planning to insert these rivnuts "wet" with seam sealer around the hole, but I'm concerned about water getting past the inner threads, which is why I'm opting for the closed end variety.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Thanks, but Reid Supply doesn't seem to have the closed end variety. I just checked my new lights and 1/4-20s fit just about perfectly in their screw holes so I ordered some closed end in that size (which I have a nosepiece for) and they should do the trick (although I don't like that they're galvanized instead of stainless).

Is RTV some kind of sealant? I'm planning to insert these rivnuts "wet" with seam sealer around the hole, but I'm concerned about water getting past the inner threads, which is why I'm opting for the closed end variety.
Buying a correct nose piece might be cheaper than changing rivnut size.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Buying a correct nose piece might be cheaper than changing rivnut size.
Problem is I bought this gadget: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRLL8KX and it doesn't seem to have a brand of any sort, so I'm not sure if a nose piece like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9A4PFG would fit in it.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Problem is I bought this gadget: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRLL8KX and it doesn't seem to have a brand of any sort, so I'm not sure if a nose piece like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9A4PFG would fit in it.
Looks like it would work as long as the base thread is the standard size. I bought a cheaper kit than yours and had to source a 5/16-18 nose, because all the sizes that came with the kit are smaller than I would use. For $10 I would expand the selection and not buy another size rivnut, they ain't cheap. Yes they are, I have 100's of the 5/16"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Looks like it would work as long as the base thread is the standard size. I bought a cheaper kit than yours and had to source a 5/16-18 nose, because all the sizes that came with the kit are smaller than I would use. For $10 I would expand the selection and not buy another size rivnut, they ain't cheap. Yes they are, I have 100's of the 5/16"
Well, they're pretty cheap when you can cancel the order (I buy from Jay-Cee and it's easy to cancel orders since it takes them a couple of days to fulfill them anyway) and then get the right size. I think 1/4-20 will work better anyway, but it's good to know these tools have a standard size.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Is this what you ended up using to secure that panel you were asking about securing in another thread, musigenesis?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Is this what you ended up using to secure that panel you were asking about securing in another thread, musigenesis?
No, I ended up just using self-drilling screws to attach my wooden panel to the inside of my back door. These rivnuts are going to be for reinstalling the big round 7" lights on the back.

Tags
rivet nuts