Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford E450, Collins 20 Passenger
Engine: Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14,500
Roof Deck

I've read through damn near all the roof deck threads. Like everyone, I want to do it cheaper but don't want to kill myself or anyone else by doing it poorly.

Any reason you can't just run galvanized pipe up the left and right side length of the bus, mounted into the ribs from the top of the bus? Maybe 1" pipe with fittings like this https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-...waAldxEALw_wcB

It would have to be just high enough to clear the curvature of the bus, however, I have a Collins 20 passenger with very minimal curve. I think the decking could be bolted with some type of U joint from under the pipe and up into the bottom of the board.

I figured this would have been done but I haven't found anything like it yet. Am I potentially missing some structural issues?

I attached a very rough image so hopefully it shows up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1570.jpg  

spmccormick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:12 AM   #2

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Mercedes
I was thinking about doing this on my bus. Any advice on the 1" galvanised roof deck?
Hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Not to be a downer, but make sure you’re aware of possible insurance complications from doing a deck.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #4

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Mercedes
My policy doesn't explicitly forbid it and I made my insurance provider aware upon activation.
Hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla View Post
My policy doesn't explicitly forbid it and I made my insurance provider aware upon activation.
Who is your carrier, and is insured as an RV? Many things are not covered that are not specifically addressed in the policy. If indeed you are covered on the deck, ask if it covers a drunk falling off of it?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Not to be a downer, but make sure you’re aware of possible insurance complications from doing a deck.
I've heard it's as simple as calling it a roof rack, not a roof deck. "It's designed for additional storage and the ladder is for simple access"

So it's there any big reason not to do it this way? I've been kicking this idea back and forth myself. I don't know the final solar/deck setup but if i ran this the length of the bus i could be modular in my setup.
aswallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallie View Post
I've heard it's as simple as calling it a roof rack, not a roof deck. "It's designed for additional storage and the ladder is for simple access"

So it's there any big reason not to do it this way? I've been kicking this idea back and forth myself. I don't know the final solar/deck setup but if i ran this the length of the bus i could be modular in my setup.
Those aren’t allowed either, at least by national General.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Those aren’t allowed either, at least by national General.
I'm genuinely curious why that is. You can buy a lot of vehicles with manufacturer installed roof racks, or at the very least pre prepped anchor points and kits to diy. Do they deny these vehicles as well?
Old 10-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallie View Post
I'm genuinely curious why that is. You can buy a lot of vehicles with manufacturer installed roof racks, or at the very least pre prepped anchor points and kits to diy. Do they deny these vehicles as well?
I asked about using an aftermarket roof rack Similar to those used on SUVs, installed by through-bolting through the hat channel and they said

No decks, no racks, no car top carriers. Solar is fine.

And I’d sure like a short bus westfallia!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:53 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
I asked about using an aftermarket roof rack Similar to those used on SUVs, installed by through-bolting through the hat channel and they said

No decks, no racks, no car top carriers. Solar is fine.

And I’d sure like a short bus westfallia!

Damn, that is a really dumb rule/interpretation of a rule

But if I'm honest, after seeing the many janky looking wooden decks people build on top of their skoolies, I wouldn't want to insure them either. But it seems there should be a better way to deal with this than a blanket prohibition on decks and racks..
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #11
Bus Nut

This is a good reason not to put stuff on your rooftop, especially after a roof raise:

https://youtu.be/o8Z1K37SHbE?t=72
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
love the 11 foot .com one! Seen that before. I guess people forget the height of their vehicles.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #13
Skoolie

Chassis: 40' MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126
It’s really too bad about roof decks and wood stoves being no no’s. Those are some of the coolest things!
shaymcquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I don't really understand the appeal of roof decks, but that's probably because I have to pee too often for it to be a practical hangout spot. Maybe a little pilot's tube with a hose going down into my DIY "composting" toilet would solve that problem, but a deck seems like the kind of thing that would be great at the beginning and then you would just stop using it altogether. If you want a flat spot to sit on, there's always the ground next to your bus.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I don't really understand the appeal of roof decks, but that's probably because I have to pee too often for it to be a practical hangout spot. Maybe a little pilot's tube with a hose going down into my DIY "composting" toilet would solve that problem, but a deck seems like the kind of thing that would be great at the beginning and then you would just stop using it altogether. If you want a flat spot to sit on, there's always the ground next to your bus.
A few years back i was on a road trip and we went to the Grand canyon. Got up early, drove around a bit, hiked down in it and got back just as the sun was setting. We saw the colors of the sunset on the rim but there were trees and buildings and cars in the way of the actual sunset. If i had a nice large deck up high above everything else for me to climb out on and watch that sunset i don't know if i could put a price on that.

I've got a sun roof in my car and it's ab luxury i could generally do without. It's either too cold to be worth it or it's too hot from direct sun durn the summer so i mostly leave it closed. However, there are about 20-30 good days where the weather is a perfect balance and the sun roof is the best thing in the car to have open. I expect our roof deck will be that. I'll climb up on it between 10 to 30 times a year but it'll be worth all the effort for those moments.

I also plan on using the roof deck and a walkway to access and clean the solar. Having a flat semi non slick surface for that feels like a good idea.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #16
Skoolie

Chassis: 40' MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126
Then don’t put Tropicool on your roof. Absolutely the slickest thing on earth when it’s damp.
shaymcquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #17
Skoolie

I'll be honest, I've never bought into any of those roof coat products. They all have one major issue or anther that just doesn't seem worth it over a gallon or two of flat exterior paint.

To the original point of this discussion, is there any major problem with anchoring a roof system that way? I saw Mike from navigation nowhere do that on his fist bus but he went a different route on his second.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Sounds possible. Lots of "Rooftop Conduit Supports" (Google it) on the market. Most are industrial rubber, good center support. Unstrut & Supperstrut also have some brackets for the sides.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Collins 6-window
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L
I’ve been wondering the same. Trying to finish all rooftop projects so that I can insulate soon, don’t want to miss out on the roof deck opportunity. Meredith & Paco of Gus the Struggle Bus used 2” pipe.

Like the OP, I have a 6-window, (I guess 20 passenger? accessibility bus, hard to say) Collins. Obviously it can handle some weight, but if I could go with 1” or 1.25” pipe instead of 2”, I’d feel better about it.

On the insurance note... National General still not accepting those roof decks? I’m not quite in insurance territory, but when I looked for coverage just to relocate my bus, they denied me as I (mistakenly) said I’d be full timing. All the roof deckin’ skoolie’s must have some loophole! Tips are helpful!
veglorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by veglorde View Post
On the insurance note... National General still not accepting those roof decks?

We've used three different companies over the years...National General, Progressive, and Farm Bureau...and all three asked about roof decks and wood stoves. If we had either of those, each of the 3 said they would not insure the vehicle.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote