Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Roof rack alternatives?

Hi all,

We have a 19' shorty bus, and we're trying to figure out how to transport gas cans. We spoke with a local metal fabricator about a roof rack and catwalk system, but he quoted us ~ $4500.. So. Does anyone have a (much) cheaper alternative to building a complete roof rack?

Thanks!

Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Someone here used a pick up truck ladder rack. Can't remember who it was.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Someone here used a pick up truck ladder rack. Can't remember who it was.
That is exactly what I'm looking into, there is no affordable alternatives check out KARGO MASTERS.

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
Hi all,

We have a 19' shorty bus, and we're trying to figure out how to transport gas cans. We spoke with a local metal fabricator about a roof rack and catwalk system, but he quoted us ~ $4500.. So. Does anyone have a (much) cheaper alternative to building a complete roof rack?

Thanks!
Buy a big fuel tank and rig a hand pump to it. Mount it up under the bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Instead of truck ladder racks that are built with strait legs to mount to truck beds you can search for van ladder racks that take into effect the curved roof of a van and the parts and pieces to attach to the rain rail of a van.
Another option is to google some commercial companies like ERICO, POWERSTRUT, HILTI and look at there UNISTRUT systems and the millions of options for attaching framing and creating just about anything you can imagine. And it can be bought with holes every inch apart or slotted with 3" slots 1-1/4" apart. Drilling is only required if your design requires it.
I love the stuff and it is galvanized from the factory so no painting necessary and no rust stains left from a ladder rack rusting and running down
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
I'd do it for $4000, and I'd drag my welder to you! 😉
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Salvage yard roof rack from a suburban ?

Or SUV basket

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360723515115
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I'm never a fan of roof racks for transport and especially not for fluids. I don't know how much fuel or how many cans you're planning to put up top but please PLEASE consider your center of gravity. Fluids also slosh around so they usually fight against you in turns, in off-camber terrain, just about every situation and now it'll have the added leverage of being ten feet up. If you're just looking to tote a few Jerry cans then a hitch mounted basket on the back (also not ideal, if rear ended) or EastCoastCB has the right idea in an underneath tank and simple pump.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
I'm never a fan of roof racks for transport and especially not for fluids. I don't know how much fuel or how many cans you're planning to put up top but please PLEASE consider your center of gravity. Fluids also slosh around so they usually fight against you in turns, in off-camber terrain, just about every situation and now it'll have the added leverage of being ten feet up. If you're just looking to tote a few Jerry cans then a hitch mounted basket on the back (also not ideal, if rear ended) or EastCoastCB has the right idea in an underneath tank and simple pump.
Personally, when I make a gas run in suburban... I slip the homemade "Tailgator" in the receiver hitch and head to the gas pump....(2" angle & expanded steel floor)

When I built mine, I double walled the tubes and put a ball at the end to pull the boat, or utility trailer... And have an extra expanded steel platform in between for life jacket tote, firewood, storage totes, canopy, lawn chairs, string trimmer, fuel cans, bicycles, etc
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Old 07-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I'm building a small, fold out "back porch" onto my shorty specifically to carry my gennie & spare. Extra gas for the gennie will go under it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

I'd love to see some pictures!
Old 07-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Just a big ass pile of cut tubing at the moment but I'll try to find my working drawing.

Basically, it extends out 24" x the width of my bus. Then there is another hinged 24" section that folds up at 90 degrees. When dropped down it will provide a full width x 4' deep back porch/deck. My spare fits under it and the genny mounts on the drivers side of the rear door. I am shopping fuel tanks but may wind up making one to fit.

It is all square steel tube and will be floored with either light weight steel or aluminum diamond plate...or...expanded metal...or...composite, wood look decking (my favorite so far). Would love to do Teak but not with the maintenance it would require.

I have all the steel framing cut but still toying with the flooring and a few other options. Oh yeah...and there is a fixed custom made bumper that will fit just below the hinged portion.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
Bus Geek

PS...found a copy of the basic frame plan. This has been modified a bit so I could install a drop down mount for my (big/heavy) spare tire.

And here is the spare carrier and chain hoist. It came off something like an older Toyota and cranks up or down using a wrench I modified to fit.

The gray primered tube is the front most element of the deck. The rear edge of the deck lines up with the back of the tire mount frame.