Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I've been up on the roof a lot of the buses (I did take the pictures) and they are very sturdy. Probably the best one is the Miller Lite bus with the stair access to the roof coming up from inside the bus.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Hey Pablo!

Looks great! How did you attach the cross beams to the roof? I am planning somthing similar and was thinking small angle brackets and self tapping sheet metal screws. Is that presure treated lumber? Where is your ladder or stairs? -Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Skoolie

Pressure-treated wood corrosion warning!

Warning!
Some pressure-treated woods are amazingly corrosive!
It seems the new ACQ "safer" chemicals in PT are TWICE as corrosive to metals, especially bare or regular zinc-plated steel, and aluminum.

Use ONLY double-hot-dipped galvy or stainless steel fasteners, and be careful the stainless is rated for sea/salt exposure.

If you insist on using PT, unless you can find kiln-dried PT, I recommend you let your stock air-dry for a month or MORE, so shrinkage/cracking/splitting will be minimized.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Bus Geek

i also made my roof rack from wood. I just used self tapping sheet metal screws to go through the 2x4's and into the roof of the bus.
There are a pair of beams on the roof that run the length of the bus. I screwed the 2x4's directly into those. You can see the beams if you stand on the roof and look for the rivets.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Pablo's roof rack

Pablo, your balcony looks good (Nice Rack hahaha). What are you using to access it? A ladder off the side or somthing? You said you used 2 angle backets per side, is this in referance to the cross members or the beams that run the length of the bus? How many did you use in total? Why individual beams instead of a couple of sheets of well sealed 1" plywood?

I am still trying to find the system that will work best for me and not spend a bunch'o'cash. Thanks - Richard
Old 04-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Pablo's roof

Thanks Pablo. I was wondering if I should go 2 by 10 or 12's but 2 by 8's shaped to the roof sounds much more feasable and lower profile. I'd love more photo's closeup if you can manage, but thanks for the info either way. -Richard
Old 05-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Roof Rack--UNISTRUT MATERIALS

I've been on the RAGBRAI twice. This is where I fell in love with the idea of a skoolie. And, of course, many of them have a rack or deck up on the roof. I'm in the process of converting a flat-nose 'Bird. I've thrown the idea of having a deck (as in walk around, sit on a chair, view the camp ground, type of deck) but have been concerned about the way it would affect my mileage. Anyone have comments on before and after installation?

I had pretty much abandoned the idea of a deck/rack until a couple of weeks ago. A friend who is an electrician suggested a product from Uni-Strut. This system allows you to build about anything for shelving, racks etc. and take it apart again. I probably won't get around to doing a deck until the fall. Take a look, yourself, if you are planning to put a rack/deck on and see it it looks like a good direction to go. http://www.unistrut.com is fun to look at.

Herb in Utah
'90 flat nose 'bird.
Skoolie BOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yes yes... I too am curious about this wooden Roof rack. I have pondered it in my head, and my idea is simillar to yours, Pablo, with the Pre- curved strut pieces and then slats running the length. For wood, I was thinking Cedar coz PT looks ugly, with cedar you can Rock it unfinished and it still looks cool. Well I'd call it an organic Look... others would call it too lazy to paint.

So... you used angle brackets to secure it to the rib's of the Roof, right?
Then Metal Screws... right?
now... you must have screwed through only the first layer of skin... right??
So it would definatly hold... pretty solid up there I think... My question is, Leakage.

Lotta holes up there... could be water rolling between the inner and outer skin of your bus, then again... maybe not. I know when I drill holes on the inside, I plug the hole with silicone.. then put silicone on the threads of the screw and on the back of the piece that will come in contact with the wall (if possible) Coz I hate leaks man, and im sure you do too. So is that what you did on your setup.. or possibly covered the screw heads with silicone. Any help anyone could give me on this would be cool, as I am a bit reluctant to start drilling holes in my roof for the moment, But would still love a Roof Rack...

Roof Rackless in Vancouver-
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Another deck idea.

See Conversion/April-May for details. Ping w/questions
Old 07-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Almost There

Send a message via MSN to glock17
where did you get your hardware

SeanF - where did you get your pipe fittings? That looks like an excellent idea.
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Thanks Glock.
They were purchased through McMaster-Carr.
All of the info is on the April 2nd coversion page; the shopping list is correct except for 2 things:

1. We used 6 (not 4) of the adjustable rectangular flanges (part 4936T64)
2. We ordered way too much of the galvanized steel pipe. 3 Pieces of 21' should be enough. We'll use the letovers to make the ladder.

Total cost of materials was about $2k...which may or may not be a shocker/deal breaker!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Almost There

Send a message via MSN to glock17
I liked that idea so much I just ordered the fittings from Grainger. I need to have a deck built in 2 weeks for RAGBRAI.
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:04 AM   #13
Skoolie

Not roof but...

..what about back porches?

I'd love one for TCD to store extra what nots and bikes. Plus a spot off the desert floor w/ an overhang would be jamming!
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote