Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #1

Roof raise

Ok, I have came to the point on my conversion that I raise the roof. (I know I am not that far along) I am too tall for a 6 foot roof so it's gonna happen. Those of you that have, how much did you lift? Would you go more? Less? And why? Any and all input would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Clay
Desert_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I've been thinking about the same thing. Do you have plans for what to put on your roof? I'm very tempted to keep the roof pretty clean and lift it as much as possible (which is what, 2-3 feet on the typical bus?)
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskswap View Post
I've been thinking about the same thing. Do you have plans for what to put on your roof? I'm very tempted to keep the roof pretty clean and lift it as much as possible (which is what, 2-3 feet on the typical bus?)
I went 11.5 in, I figure AC unit should put me at 12ft .6 in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (152.9 KB, 32 views)
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
I did 20". Feels and looks great to me. I wouldnt do anything. My new height is 11'4". Ill keep my clearance to under 12. Personally, i think i cut my roof in the best possible spots, for a conventional, bluebird body. Only thing I would do differently is used galvanized sheet steel for the new sections. thats what the factory used. Depending on where you drive, clearances will be important to you. Even though im in the spacious west, I think staying under 12' is important. Most coaches do.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yeah my plan is to stay at or under 12' overall vehicle height.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #6

Charles, were did you cut your bus? I was thinking below the windows so I could keep them installed I I decide to. But it looks the easieas to cut and extend the window frame itself
Old 03-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Take a look at my conversion thread for pics but mostly right in middle of the windows. You will have to remove the windows anyway to raise the roof. I cut above the door in the front and below the windows in the rear. What make is your bus?
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
I'm going for 18" raise. The determining factor for me was to get the rear emergency door tall enough that I will have no problem loading and unloading stuff through the rear, without having to cut and modify the end cap. Mostly I'll be hauling motorcycles in the rear, and converting it to the master bed room once we are at the rally spot, and I hate having to duck while riding a hog up a ramp and through a door. Enough obstacles without risking a head knocker too.

After the roof raise and top rack I'll be building, I should come in right at 12' 6". Still well within legal height and able to make most underpasses. I'll also be investing in a "Truckers GPS", garmen makes a good one, that lets you put in your truck height and routes you away from over hangs that you can't get under.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Going to go 20" here. I have a RV door that I want to make the entry without a step well in the bus. The AC unit will be in the basement so no height issues here. The only thing sticking up further will be the solar panel rack that will fold down flat on the roof when in transit. Depending on how much height we have I might do a small roof rack in the rear section behind the opening for the rear escape hatch (which will be changed up a bit).
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #10

Mine is a '96 ford with a bluebird body. It has a nose like a truck.... I was thinking cutting about the same spot Charles did. My roof will raise behind the first row of seats similar to allwthrider photo. I am planning an totally removing the back wall so the emergency door won't be an issue and framing in a new exterior wall with a normal door about 5 feet inside the bus leaving me a covered porch. My purpose is living comfort and hauling mtn bikes and scuba gear... This will serve as a mud room to rinse gear without bringing it inside.

I think I have settled on raising it a foot. My total height will be 11 feet before I add on the deck..

Sojourner, explain AC in the basement. I like the idea of keeping it low and I will already have solar and a deck and kayaks up there... This intrigued me.