Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Roof Raise - 2001 IC RE

Hi all,
I just realized my bus interior height may be unusual. I am right about 5'10 and there it barely any room for my head in my bus. That is without an insulated floor. I am curious to know if other IC RE buses have so short a roof. I didn't realize there were different interior heights when I made a bid on my bus.

The question now is, has anyone done a roof raise on a RE IC... Curious to know your cut line. Pictures would be fantastic.

Thanks

Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I have a 2001 Thomas re safety liner. I think when I was standing on the bare metal floor to the inner skin of the roof I had about 6'2" maybe a little more. Of course I know now that there are similar buses out there with a few inches more headroom and I agonized for a long time about whether or not to raise the roof. At the end of the day I realized I could complete the conversion and still have enough headroom for me to stand and have insulated floors and ceilings without doing a roof raise. My compromise is that I put in quite a few skylights that I'll have insulated panels that will cover when insulation is critical. There's a video out there somewhere where a guy who is well over 6 feet talks about why it was not worth it to him to raise the roof. The fact is it's more about the aesthetic then it is about the practical aspect of it. You're going to spend most of your time sitting unless you're cooking. For me I felt like skylights did the trick in opening up the feeling of the space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
Hi all,
I just realized my bus interior height may be unusual. I am right about 5'10 and there it barely any room for my head in my bus. That is without an insulated floor. I am curious to know if other IC RE buses have so short a roof. I didn't realize there were different interior heights when I made a bid on my bus.

The question now is, has anyone done a roof raise on a RE IC... Curious to know your cut line. Pictures would be fantastic.

Thanks
MInes a FE, but its pretty much the same for any of them. Check out my thread linked in my sig line at bottom of my post, if you'd like to see how we did it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
MInes a FE, but its pretty much the same for any of them. Check out my thread linked in my sig line at bottom of my post, if you'd like to see how we did it.
Thanks....will do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote