Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Roof Raise - Building My Own Flat Roof

I think that crown is pretty. If I had the cash I'd buy it.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: happy camper RV repair
Chassis: international
Engine: 360 international
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
i used the original roof but cut in a 4 foot wide deck countersunk into the roof. this gave me many thing one is a flat inside ceiling, it also gave my cubby hole the full length of the bus to run ac duct and electrical in. from the ground you don't see the deck i also put a fold down table and umbrella up on this deck.
rvingoffgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #23
Bus Nut

This vid shows the inherent sturdiness of Skoolies. Yes there's some damage but the bus bounces right off the loco instead of folding around it or flying apart like lesser vehicles. I would not want to compromise the integrity.

locomotive hits school bus - Bing Videos
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Better video, with high speed replay here

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
You lose about 50% of the strength maybe more! Another thing when you remove the interior metal skin you lose about 75% of your structure because you no longer have a box structure any radius is far stronger than a square structure these bus companies have been in business since 1909 i believe for blue bird and they have spent millions of dollars making sure school buses are able to handle a roll over i dont understand why people want to change a well engineered body for ease of a build or cosmetics other than a simple roof raise ,thats a necessity for the most part if we go making these skoolies unsafe we won't be able to get them insured anymore if we keep pushing the envelope! We dont have many companies now that will cover them as it is! Before you go making radical changes id make sure you can insure it!
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey's pipe dream View Post
You lose about 50% of the strength maybe more! Another thing when you remove the interior metal skin you lose about 75% of your structure because you no longer have a box structure any radius is far stronger than a square structure these bus companies have been in business since 1909 i believe for blue bird and they have spent millions of dollars making sure school buses are able to handle a roll over i dont understand why people want to change a well engineered body for ease of a build or cosmetics other than a simple roof raise ,thats a necessity for the most part if we go making these skoolies unsafe we won't be able to get them insured anymore if we keep pushing the envelope! We dont have many companies now that will cover them as it is! Before you go making radical changes id make sure you can insure it!
This is disinformation^^^.
20+ga sheetmetal is what the headliner is made of its not structural.
A BB Wanderlodge didn't come with a metal headliner and has half the ribs. The same engineers designed the Wanderlodge.
75% of the structure is the headliner?
lol
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Everyone talks about losing structural rigidity. But no one offers any numbers. These buses are built way beyond acceptable limits. You can remove 25% of the structural ability and still be in the needed safe zone. Is more better, in some cases yes. Is less bad, not allows, often more than enough.
With the millions of buses out there, how often do you see a bus rolled over? I would hate living my life off of "what if's" when that what if is highly unlikely to happen at all.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote