Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: Roof Raise ~ Cutting Roof ABOVE Windows ??

you can cut wherever you wish, but generally speaking from my standpoint (of a moron), it is better to leave at least 6 inches or so of the window uprights to weld to. So if you are removing all the interior skin on the walls below the windows, you can weld you new uprights there, but at the top, where the bus ribs start to curve, it is easier to just leave that 6 inches or so of the straight rib up there to weld your new piece to.

When i add a slide to my bus, I am going to remove the entire roof and make if basically flat with new steel after i raise the roof about 18 in. When this is done, the uprights have to have gussets on each rib to the roof rib for strength.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Just some things to consider, if you leave the present windows in their stock location and raise the roof, you will still have to bend over to look out of the windows. Also, the bottom of the present windows will be below your countertops if you use standard height counters, especially if you use any kind of insulation and wood decking on your floors. Standard bus windows are also VERY bad about letting cold out and heat in.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: Int. DT466
Rated Cap: 35

Hey there! I gave you the info of my mechanic who's doing my raise and welding for me. Did you ever get a hold of him? He's just about to start on mine. He's cutting above the original windows and then putting in a few rv windows. Because the frames of the bigger rv windows will be wider than the space between original window frames, he'll have to weld them custom steel frames so there's no loss of support. rv windows are much more insulating. Plus all those windows that I'd be covering anyway will be sheet metal walls that I can frame in and insulate.
kyletheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: Int. DT466
Rated Cap: 35

Pixiemoss, long time since I've been on the site. I've been working my butt off getting the bus ready for winter in north idaho. How did your roof raise go? Do you have pics? As soon as I have a minute I'm going to post all mine. It's gonna be a lot at once. Hope all is well.
kyletheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote