Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 84
Roof Raise, How High?

The main reason I get for doing a roof raise is to get headroom for taller folk. What other advantages are gained by a roof raise? I don't see the need to raise it 18" to gain 3" of headroom. Is it just an appearance thing? I suppose it gives more room for storage, but it's higher weight. Big raises make you look like a humpback whale. I think a 8-10' raise would give you all you need unless you were wanting more room for a raised bed or something. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Engine: DT466
I’m 6’2” will do a raise to gain head room. That was my only real concern until I saw the difference just a 10” raise made on PNWSteve’s bus. The headroom is a must but the increase in perceived space is a real bonus.

I don’t intend to go over 12” max. Any more than that and the bus starts looking goofy when raising the whole length. It makes too much of a “forehead “. I think if a person were to also put in a taller windshield then it could go a little higher and still look good.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
When I built my first bus it had enough headroom that I considered not raising the roof. Then I went to a bus rally and visited other similar buses. Some with a roof raise and some without.

It was surprising how much more roomy and comfortable the raised buses were. We raised the roof 8" and we're glad that we did.

Take a look at page 13 of my current build. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/pn...-21182-13.html There is a picture of me standing on one of my rear wheel wells. It is a good illustration of the headroom gained by a 10" roof raise.

In my case, I am going to raise the floor in the bedroom to just cover the wheel wells. I will use the space for water tank and pump as well as a bit of storage.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Hey Kent,

It is definitely surprising how much difference in perceived space there is with a modest roof raise.

Make sure you have room for me to park my bus when we come down to do your roof raise
Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
I did 16" and any taller would've been pushing it. my max height is still only at 11' tall outside so its not bad. our ceiling height before on the inside was horrible before the raise though and we are both only 5'6" we couldnt walk anywhere in ours but dead center, if you went off a bit it was neck breaking time. after we could raise our hands above our head and have the ceiling just out of reach
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
When I built my first bus it had enough headroom that I considered not raising the roof. Then I went to a bus rally and visited other similar buses. Some with a roof raise and some without.

It was surprising how much more roomy and comfortable the raised buses were. We raised the roof 8" and we're glad that we did.

Take a look at page 13 of my current build. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/pn...-21182-13.html There is a picture of me standing on one of my rear wheel wells. It is a good illustration of the headroom gained by a 10" roof raise.

In my case, I am going to raise the floor in the bedroom to just cover the wheel wells. I will use the space for water tank and pump as well as a bit of storage.
I'll find it, but you can't use thread page, you need to tell me post #. I have my threads set up to show newest post first, most have it opposite, so my page 13 is completely different than yours. I'll find by going 13 from the end.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Post # 127

The link I posted "should" take you to the correct page.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Post # 127

The link I posted "should" take you to the correct page.
You had some pics that sorta would answer my question if the were just a bit closer. I'm trying to see what actually frames the top of the window. It looks like about a 4-5" wide curved stamped sheet metal that ties into the roof skin. Because of it's curve it can't be separated from the rib and kept low. Is it as easy as just adding a horizontal bar 10" up or down to reframe the existing windows?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You had some pics that sorta would answer my question if the were just a bit closer. I'm trying to see what actually frames the top of the window. It looks like about a 4-5" wide curved stamped sheet metal that ties into the roof skin. Because of it's curve it can't be separated from the rib and kept low. Is it as easy as just adding a horizontal bar 10" up or down to reframe the existing windows?
I'm sorry Marc. I don't understand what you are asking.

We cut the ribs roughly in the middle of the window openings. New sheet metal will slide under the bottom of the roof panels.

Does that speak to your question?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'm sorry Marc. I don't understand what you are asking.

We cut the ribs roughly in the middle of the window openings. New sheet metal will slide under the bottom of the roof panels.

Does that speak to your question?
I'm saying, if you want to keep the stock bus window, how do you go about framing them back in, either low in the stock location, or high at the new height location. I'm mulling over all the options when doing the raise. I would like to raise it, skin the sides, and add my own custom windows where needed. This method is the most expensive. But I also want as much open light entering the bus as possible, so if the old windows can be repurposed and moved high where you want them would be a nice option.