Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Roof raise limitations?

I'm considering trying to pop up part of my roof for a sleeping loft. Does anyone know what the restrictions are for how high you can raise it above original height, as well as maximum total height? Does this vary by state?

Ilexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Roof raise limitations?

I wouldn't go over 13'6"

and at that ht you will need to pay attention to all over passes, and also be mindful of things like paving etc that changes it even shorter

on our last trip (we do this 2 or 3 times a year) having anything over 13 feet would be a pain

keep it low and then when stopped you can go up 8 feet

google low bridges and see all the ones on the east coast, west coast not as much (and the 11ft8 bridge video is funnah )

Interstate only would be okay, highway and back roads puts you into trouble

good luck and post pictures
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Bus Geek

there are pictures somewhere of a bus with a pop up trailer mounted on top, they "set it up" when they get to camp site
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If you have Streets & Trips, you can go to laptopgpsworld's POI Megafile to download a POI file that includes many things including LOW CLEARANCE spots. While not 100% accurate, it is very helpful.

BTW, Microsoft no longer supports Streets & Trips. S&T 2013 is the last version being issued. You can buy it until the end of the year. After that I guess you will need to find a torrent.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I love Streets and Trips, have been using it for years. It doesn't, however play nice with Windows 8. I have been able to get it to work by always opening it as an administrator. Why do the have to keep messing with things that don't have anything wrong with them?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Chevrolet

Thanks for the responses. I'm not likely to be on the east coast much. I was most interested in whether there are legal restrictions on height for traveling on highways, etc.

I think my bus is 10' tall, so 13' might actually work, especially if I lower the ceiling slightly under the loft. Just can't have any tall guests

Of course I don't know how to do it… but I guess I'm here to learn!
Ilexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Just my .02C I once saw a Skoolie that had 2 VW busses mounted to the roof, not on top of each other but inline
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

All vehicles driven in Georgia are restricted to a maximum width of 102 inches and a maximum height of 13 feet 6 inches. Georgia does not have a clearly defined single vehicle length limit.

According to this page http://www.liftlaws.com/georgia_lift_laws.htm

On width there are some states I know texas dose have a max distance from center of the steering coloum limit as well as overall Washington I believe allows max height of 14 feet if you live there it would still be legal in Ga but if you try to register it here they would tell you no can do . 13'6'' seems to be the lowest max but check yous states DMV website for better information .

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/safety-laws.php
That way you know how far you can push it I noticed that there seems to be no length restriction here so considering a back porch when I finally get to where I can purchase and start a build . have even thought about putting a step bumper on the front would make aa good place to lock down a moped and bikes with a jib pole to raise and lower things .