Old 05-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Roof raise materials

Hey everybody! So, we bought the bus, drove the bus, cleaned the inside, drove the bus, removed the seats, drove the bus. I like to drive the bus! Anyway, I am definitely going to be raising the roof. The actual raising I am ok with. I have some questions about the materials people have used and what are the pros and cons of what you used.

First, what are people using for skinning material? I have read people using cold rolled, hot rolled, galvanized, galvaneal, etc.

Also what size sheet metal are you using, 8ft length, 10ft length?

What gauge or thickness?

What kind of rivets are you using (solid, open end, aluminum, metal, or stainless)?

Any other info on materials would be helpful also. Thanks in advance for the info.

Mike
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:06 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
Hey everybody! So, we bought the bus, drove the bus, cleaned the inside, drove the bus, removed the seats, drove the bus. I like to drive the bus! Anyway, I am definitely going to be raising the roof. The actual raising I am ok with. I have some questions about the materials people have used and what are the pros and cons of what you used.

First, what are people using for skinning material? I have read people using cold rolled, hot rolled, galvanized, galvaneal, etc.

Also what size sheet metal are you using, 8ft length, 10ft length?

What gauge or thickness?

What kind of rivets are you using (solid, open end, aluminum, metal, or stainless)?

Any other info on materials would be helpful also. Thanks in advance for the info.

Mike
I use 14 ga for the rib extensions. 18 ga for the body paneling. All hot rolled.

SS closed end pop rivets are my choice.

Hopefully your bus isn't a Thomas. They're the toughest to raise properly and have it look good.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your input EastCoastCB, I see you help a lot of people on this forum and was hoping you would chime in. If I may ask, why did you choose hot rolled vs the others? Curious about your comment on Thomas being the hardest to raise, what's the trouble with them? Oh, and it is a 2000 Blue Bird All American rear engine.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Thanks for your input EastCoastCB, I see you help a lot of people on this forum and was hoping you would chime in. If I may ask, why did you choose hot rolled vs the others?
Its cheaper and the stuff I get is nice clean steel that's easy to work with.
I get 4x10's of 18ga hot rolled for 60-70 a sheet depending on steel prices.
I just don't see the need to spend more money. All the stuff I've laid down looked pretty good and no oil canning or any of that.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Thanks for your input EastCoastCB, I see you help a lot of people on this forum and was hoping you would chime in. If I may ask, why did you choose hot rolled vs the others? Curious about your comment on Thomas being the hardest to raise, what's the trouble with them? Oh, and it is a 2000 Blue Bird All American rear engine.
The window section on a Thomas is not vertical like the lower wall, it leans at a 5 angle narrowing towards the top.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

My BB walls are straight but the back is at a slight angle towards the front. I was planning on cutting the rear at the transition from straight to angle and letting the angle section be with the raised part. As before, thanks for sharing your experience and "bus wisdom" here and in all your other posts.

Tags
metal, raise, roof, sheet