Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Roof raise.. self/paid?.. how did you go about it?

Was wondering if people can share there experience on what technique was used, tools/used and if they did it own there own or paid someone to do it. Pictures welcome!

Just looking to get motivated as I will attempt to do this by myself with no experience except what I've seen on youtube and this forum
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Was wondering if people can share there experience on what technique was used, tools/used and if they did it own there own or paid someone to do it. Pictures welcome!

Just looking to get motivated as I will attempt to do this by myself with no experience except what I've seen on youtube and this forum
You might go solo...BUT there's a lot of weight in that roof...you need to know how plan the lift...be careful

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Read the build threads. There a quite a few roof raises here showing lots of ways to go about it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
superdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: hills of sw virginia
Posts: 889
Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
check ECCB's roll your own thread, we used the threaded rod technique to lift it 10 inches. easy with four people turning a wrench.
__________________
living in a bus down by the river.
my build pics
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...albums942.html
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Read the build threads. There a quite a few roof raises here showing lots of ways to go about it.
I've read a few. There is one guy who used a method that i wanna use but i can't remember his thread.
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
check ECCB's roll your own thread, we used the threaded rod technique to lift it 10 inches. easy with four people turning a wrench.
That method is easy enough, if a little slower, with one person. It's the method I'd use because at no point is the roof detached from the bus. It's either help on by welds or bolts the entire time.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
check ECCB's roll your own thread, we used the threaded rod technique to lift it 10 inches. easy with four people turning a wrench.
Yea ive been subscribed to that thread. Never checked his method tho.
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Wright City MO
Posts: 271
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That method is easy enough, if a little slower, with one person. It's the method I'd use because at no point is the roof detached from the bus. It's either help on by welds or bolts the entire time.
I have done two raises that way and will be doing a third that way in March however the thought that the roof is attached the entire time is not true the nuts on the allthread are in between the two brackets and although it would take a hellacious lift the roof could be lifted or blown off I wouldn't try it on a stormy day you could avoid this by also putting nuts and washers on the top and bottom of the brackets but you would be doubling the amount of wrench time required to do the lift.
__________________
Its hard to be wrong when you live in Wright City!
There is no mechanical problem that cannot be overcome by a skillfully applied combination of brute force and ignorance!
Gdog 5651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
I have done two raises that way and will be doing a third that way in March however the thought that the roof is attached the entire time is not true the nuts on the allthread are in between the two brackets and although it would take a hellacious lift the roof could be lifted or blown off I wouldn't try it on a stormy day you could avoid this by also putting nuts and washers on the top and bottom of the brackets but you would be doubling the amount of wrench time required to do the lift.
Running nuts part-way up the lower threads and part-way down the upper threads would help avert disaster.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...gate-1564.html

This is the thread with the method i was talking about. Anyone else been following this thread?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
So nobody else has used this method?? Thinking of giving it a go
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bar Harbor Maine
Posts: 67
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
I'm in Maine but ill come to Texas and give you a hand if you'd like! we charge $2000 labor with your prep and your materials my son and i will show up and do it right up for you clean and professionally! you just need to strip it out and have the materials ill figure for you sitting there when we arrive! we can stop there or keep going and build you a complete bus? if you have a shop available to work in i can make all of your tanks brackets and any other hardware needed! we do fold out rooms and slideouts as well imagine a 23 x 13 living room in your bus we can do your in-floor heating system running off of an on-demand hot water heater or any other set up needed we are quick but we work pretty much straight through until the job is accomplished if the set up allows us too like noise restrictions stuff of that nature however we will not let the quality of our work slide no matter the circumstances! we try to have a 100% honest success rate with customers a happy customer is a good customer also for others reading this that may be interested we are building to order 28 to 31 a ford and 32 ford reproduction custom skoolie hot rods cowl forward reproduction parts cowl back completely custom close to original appearance with these, we offer a chopped top that lifts up to standing room height when you park! we will build other makes and years if the complete cowl forward is supplied to us in paintable condition! lilman772@gmail.com newenglandskoolies.com/forum
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 669
Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I'm out of breath just reading that post....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,354
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
I'm out of breath just reading that post....
A picture is worth a thousand words.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 802
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Right? Many.....many thousands of words and not one picture to be seen.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #16
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,522
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I think it's just wrong to jump into every build thread with an offer to commercially build it for you. I have no problem with it in the classifieds, maybe the site should charge a fee for sponsored vendors to even post a commercial offering.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
I'm out of breath just reading that post....
Get outta here Marky! Run-on!(run along) PERIOD! /s /s
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #18
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 183
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think it's just wrong to jump into every build thread with an offer to commercially build it for you. I have no problem with it in the classifieds, maybe the site should charge a fee for sponsored vendors to even post a commercial offering.
Ditto, I have seen this offered in some other threads. I went to their site which is basically a forum that had a few posts. I only saw one bus that was nearly completed and was for sale at 30k. They should post in the classifieds.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,522
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
Ditto, I have seen this offered in some other threads. I went to their site which is basically a forum that had a few posts. I only saw one bus that was nearly completed and was for sale at 30k. They should post in the classifieds.
Someone does one roof raise and they are now a professional bus converter.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Wow! I didn't get notified of any of the replies after my last post. Just happened to check because I could remember if i even posted
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×