Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Skoolie

roof raise style

so i want to raise my roof but id like to use vans cut in half, cut them below window, weld on then cut out bus roof. this would make a double shouldered design i feel might be stronger. i got the vans free. plus think of all those big windows up there? ive been thinking about it for a year now trying to decide if its better then the conventional roof raise. also anyone know the exterior height of a 91 bluebird all american re

any opinions

adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: roof raise style

but do you think it would be stronger with that hip. i did think it would be snazzy looking too. also do you think it would add too much extra weight. i think it would weigh a tad more than the conventional straight sides
adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: roof raise style

Unless you keep the arched roof supports, you will weaken the overall design, not strengthen it. Why? Because the strength lies in the uninterrupted arch of ribs over the ceiling of the bus. Take out a couple of them for entry into a "second floor" created by the van top and you'll be okay. But cutting them all out will not help the strength.

That being said...

Unless you plan on entering a demolition derby with your bus, it shouldn't make much difference to livability . The biggest disadvantage you'd have is no extra cabinet space along the sides. You'd still be reduced to using the original height of the bus and have to fit the cabinets to the remaining curve. You'll have loads more head room, but that's just wasted space in the center aisle.

The type of raise Smitty, Millicent, and others have done gains wall space as well as ceiling space. This is very important in long term living.

If you want to add a van on top, then go for it! It's YOUR bus. If it makes you happy, then it's a great decision. Just weigh the pros & cons of how you plan to use the bus (party bus, tailgater, camper, mobile home, etc.) before you start cutting.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote