Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,491
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Roof-raisers, I have a question for you...

So thinking about the hat channel and square tubing for the roof raise, I want to know if I've got this right.

Green line = skin of the bus
Black line = hat channel
Red line = square tubing



The square tubing you use fits within and even with the hat channel? Top version. What I don't want is concave or convex. Does anyone have a close up pic of where they added the new skin?

Next question is how much overlap top and bottom do you have? Figuring for an 18" raise, I need 18" + windows + overlap. If I remember right the windows are 24" tall. Using 3" of overlap top and bottom puts me at 48" wide. A full sheet. That might not be so bad after all. I was using online quotes for 18" but that only works if I move the windows up. There's a lot of heat loss there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hat channel.jpg (15.1 KB, 111 views)
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,012
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Depending on the ribs, you may not find perfect fitting square tubing. I had to have mine made, so I went with channel that I had custom cut and bent to fit inside the ribs perfectly. Then we welded on angle to the sides of the channel to mimic the flange on the hat channel, so the skin will sit on the ribs exactly just like the way it did from the factory.
If you want I'll dig up a couple pics if I can find em.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,012
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15


Here you can see the channel is put INTO the rib. The channel I had made was 33" long, so I had PLENTY of overlap and room to raise as high as I wanted.

The channel had to be checked a time or two and they had to make a few adjustments to make em perfect, but it was worth it. A good, snug fit is what you want here.


I cut out a section of rib and took it to the fab shop so they could have it to test fit.
The channels are 14ga, since that's what the factory used to make the ribs.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,491
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
I need to measure my rivets but 40' bus is going to need 5 sheets per side plus 1 front and 1 rear so 12 sheets total.

I may get lucky and only need 4 sheets per side depending on where I start the raise. Metal Supermarket is $831.43 for 12 sheets, 48x96, 16 gauge. Does this sound right?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,491
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Here you can see the channel is put INTO the rib. The channel I had made was 33" long, so I had PLENTY of overlap and room to raise as high as I wanted.
How wide are those channels? They look like 2+" (more than I would have thought.

So you have a gap for the inside "skin" where the hat ends and the square begins. It's the difference of the hat's thickness. Right? But since this is covered by whatever your interior walls are going to be (paneling, drywall, whatever) no one cares right?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,012
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
How wide are those channels? They look like 2+" (more than I would have thought.

So you have a gap for the inside "skin" where the hat ends and the square begins. It's the difference of the hat's thickness. Right? But since this is covered by whatever your interior walls are going to be (paneling, drywall, whatever) no one cares right?
They're like 1 3/8" wide. That's the ID of my hat channels on my bus. No sq tubing would fit mine worth a DAMN.

The skin will rest on the new flanges welded to the channel, it will look factory.
hard to make out with the lighting, but see in this pic- its got the angle on the channel and ready to be skinned one of these weekends soon.

__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,491
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

I cut out a section of rib and took it to the fab shop so they could have it to test fit.
The channels are 14ga, since that's what the factory used to make the ribs.
Good to know the gauge. Um, isn't your square short by an 1/8"? Why isn't it lining up with the flats of your hat? And why is it in "backwards"? Since you actually have a C channel instead of square tubing, shouldn't the flat of your C be on the outside of the bus to rivet the new skin on it?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,012
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I need to measure my rivets but 40' bus is going to need 5 sheets per side plus 1 front and 1 rear so 12 sheets total.

I may get lucky and only need 4 sheets per side depending on where I start the raise. Metal Supermarket is $831.43 for 12 sheets, 48x96, 16 gauge. Does this sound right?
Don't use 16, you don't need to. 18 is plenty thick for the purpose, and its what the bus is made of, most likely. Mines all 18ga skins and 14ga ribs.
I pay around $45 for a 4x10 of 18ga, but I don't usually have to pay.
Check suppliers and sizes. You can get 4x8's of 18 for around 40 usually. Some suppliers quoted me $60 a sheet for 4x8's!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,491
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They're like 1 3/8" wide. That's the ID of my hat channels on my bus. No sq tubing would fit mine worth a DAMN.

The skin will rest on the new flanges welded to the channel, it will look factory.
hard to make out with the lighting, but see in this pic- its got the angle on the channel and ready to be skinned one of these weekends soon.
Oh I got it now. I was thinking the skin (OEM) was in the center of the hat for some reason. The double row of rivets on OEM ... got it. And your C was short so you could weld the angle on it.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,012
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Good to know the gauge. Um, isn't your square short by an 1/8"? Why isn't it lining up with the flats of your hat? And why is it in "backwards"? Since you actually have a C channel instead of square tubing, shouldn't the flat of your C be on the outside of the bus to rivet the new skin on it?
It doesn't NEED to be ALL the way flush on the outside... Its better to have it slightly shorter, so it doesn't run any risk of sitting too HIGH.
Once the "flanges" are welded onto it, that 1/8" doesn't mean a thing.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.