Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Roofs

They are out there, three basic ceiling heights that I can figure out. Not sure they all measure the same, but the Thomas Pushers are available in 6-0, 6-3 and 6-6 interior height. You can tell by looking at them from the outside, look at the roof line, if the roof line drops right after the front cap, then you got the low ceiling, if it goes straight it's the middle one, and if it goes up a little it's got the high ceilings in it... If you find the 6-6 bus they are more rare, but they are out there. The other makers have similar packages, not sure if the measurements are the same...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie_s
I decided recently that it'd be neat to build a skoolie for full timing. I don't have money right now, but I'd like to have it livable in a year. My only issue is that I see that most buses only have a roof that's 6'0. I'm 6'2-ish. Is it hard to find buses with taller ceilings? I don't feel like I'm competent enough to raise a roof.
I didn't even think about ceiling height when I bought my bus... I guess I just got lucky. A quickie measurement shows it's about 6'4" down the center aisle. Not bad for a short bus!

-Ray
Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I guess it depends on your height as well. I am 6'4" and the roof HAD to go up but if your only 5'10" maybe a 6' would do. But agree with what was said, find a high ceiling bus. I am near Winnipeg Canada and King Transportation had a pusher with the 6'6" ceilings last summer for $3000, that said I know there are very few of you on this forum that are Canadians let alone crazy enough to live near or in Winnipeg so its probably too far!? But they do exist.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I really wanted a 6-6 ceiling bus, but all the ones I looked at had rust out problems. I wound up with a 6-0 ceiling, but considering I'm only 5-7 it not only worked, but I was able to put in minor drop ceiling and still have 3 inches left over! Big people have to duck when the visit me!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote