Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
Skoolie
 
bigskypc50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Anaconda,MT
Posts: 233
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Rated Cap: 90
Rub Rails / Bay Water Leakage

On my rig I am having trouble with water leaking into my factory under bus storage bays. The water appears to be collecting on top of storage bays right under the floor of the bus, and it's rusting out the inside front edge of my storage bays and the button edge of bus body..

I am guessing the water is getting in on top of the lower rub rail and running down the inside of the body wall and collecting on the top of the bays, I see the upper two rub rails have drains but it does not appear the lower one does.

You can see in the photo, I start treating with a wire wheel and rust converter, right below that lower rub rail, everything below the lower rub rail is rusty, so I am thinking that has to be it.

Would it alright after painting to caulk the top edge of the lower rub rail, or is it coming from somewhere eals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.jpg (162.1 KB, 14 views)
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 580
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Would it alright after painting to caulk the top edge of the lower rub rail, or is it coming from somewhere eals.

I dunno about putting it on top of the rubrails, I think it should be alright....you just don't want to seal up the drain holes on the bottom of the rub rails. On our Amtran bus the water was coming from the gutter that's above the storage bays. There's a seam in the gutter itself, so I put a bead of seam sealer in the gutter and smoothed it out with wet fingertips and it solved a great deal of the leakage issues. I don't have a pic of it, but if you've got a gutter above the storage bay (but below the rub rail) then you might want to look into that as a source of the wetness.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
CMORGANSKOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelpiha Pennsylvania
Posts: 344
Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
On my rig I am having trouble with water leaking into my factory under bus storage bays. The water appears to be collecting on top of storage bays right under the floor of the bus, and it's rusting out the inside front edge of my storage bays and the button edge of bus body..

I am guessing the water is getting in on top of the lower rub rail and running down the inside of the body wall and collecting on the top of the bays, I see the upper two rub rails have drains but it does not appear the lower one does.

You can see in the photo, I start treating with a wire wheel and rust converter, right below that lower rub rail, everything below the lower rub rail is rusty, so I am thinking that has to be it.

Would it alright after painting to caulk the top edge of the lower rub rail, or is it coming from somewhere eals.
My IC leaks everywhere. I've put 20 tubes of silicone on it so far. Caulk away!!!
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 339
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I am also thinking of sealing the top edge of the rub rails before I paint. I was thinking of using this stuff.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3193911&rt=rud
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
CMORGANSKOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelpiha Pennsylvania
Posts: 344
Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Ac Delco Seam sealer is the best choice
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 745
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I am also thinking of sealing the top edge of the rub rails before I paint. I was thinking of using this stuff.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3193911&rt=rud
Dynatron-550 is excellent stuff. Cheapest place for it I've found is at Autozone (and no shipping if you drive there). It's kind of difficult to work with, so if you treat it like ordinary caulk and just run a bead and smear it with your finger, it's going to look pretty amateurish (even after painting).

You can mask off the line where you're going to put the seam, run a thin line of the sealer, and then smooth it with a finger wetted with mineral spirits (you can also spray mineral spirits from a spray bottle to keep the sealer from forming a skin quickly, giving you more time to work with it), then peel up the masking tape before the sealer sets.

Also: don't keep your Dynatron-550 in the trunk of your car in hot weather like I did. Just this morning I went to grab one of my 5 tubes of the stuff and they had all popped their bottoms out.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
Skoolie
 
bigskypc50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Anaconda,MT
Posts: 233
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Rated Cap: 90
Thanks for answers back!

Cmorganskool, LOL wow 20 tubes that's a lot. I think someday I will end up there, I can see my rubber seals around the glass are starting to fail and shrink up out of the corners, were on yours did find the major leaks?

Drew, I think you found my problem, a gas station post got a little to close to my bus when I first drove it home , and it dented the rub rail and creased the drip edge above the bays in one spot, after closely looking at it I can see a maybe 1/8" seam that the drip edge is hiding. Did you do both the valley of the drip edge and the underside of it?
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 580
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Drew, I think you found my problem, a gas station post got a little to close to my bus when I first drove it home , and it dented the rub rail and creased the drip edge above the bays in one spot, after closely looking at it I can see a maybe 1/8" seam that the drip edge is hiding. Did you do both the valley of the drip edge and the underside of it?

I just did the valley.....hard to tell from your pic, but here's a pic of mine with the gutter area circled in red. I put a bead of seam sealer the length of the gutter and smoothed it. Didn't put any on the underside. So far, so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gutter.jpg (122.1 KB, 8 views)
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 AM   #9
Skoolie
 
bigskypc50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Anaconda,MT
Posts: 233
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Rated Cap: 90
Thanks mine is built identical to that. Expect mine has a much wider bottom edge. Lucky is does as it's going to get the rust cut out sprayed with converter painted white then covered with 4"X 4" diamond plate.

* Best Photo I have without going out there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 6.18.33 AM.jpg (138.9 KB, 5 views)
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
CMORGANSKOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelpiha Pennsylvania
Posts: 344
Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Thanks for answers back!

Cmorganskool, LOL wow 20 tubes that's a lot. I think someday I will end up there, I can see my rubber seals around the glass are starting to fail and shrink up out of the corners, were on yours did find the major leaks?

Drew, I think you found my problem, a gas station post got a little to close to my bus when I first drove it home , and it dented the rub rail and creased the drip edge above the bays in one spot, after closely looking at it I can see a maybe 1/8" seam that the drip edge is hiding. Did you do both the valley of the drip edge and the underside of it?
Mines and 07. Top down. Every light on the roof leaked needed to be re sealed. Every seam on the roof needed to be re sealed. Every vent and hatch leaked and needed to be re sealed. Every window needed to be caulked around the frame (so far the glass seals are still ok. Every antenna hole. Plus everything I installed. Iíd say 20 is about accurate. And thatís really not the right way. The proper way is to use butyl tape and that black sealant that looks like tar that stays mushy for 100 years. Do yourself a favor and seal proactively because youíll never find the pin hole leaks once you build the bus out.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.