Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450
Rated Cap: 22
Rules in BC, Canada

Hey there.

I have a new Shuttle Bus that I'm converting into a camper and tour bus for the summer. I've started building and didn't even think about rules that might be in place for what I can and can't do with this construction. Can anyone tell me where to find the rules I'm looking for? Also, what authority governs these rules? I'm totally clueless...

Thanks for the help.

BassCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCulture View Post
Hey there.

I have a new Shuttle Bus that I'm converting into a camper and tour bus for the summer. I've started building and didn't even think about rules that might be in place for what I can and can't do with this construction. Can anyone tell me where to find the rules I'm looking for? Also, what authority governs these rules? I'm totally clueless...

Thanks for the help.
You should be able to get the info from your local D.M.V.
Generally there is no rules on what cannot be done. The D.M.V. or D.O.T. or some one? do not regulate R.V. bodies or construction only their chassis and dimensions.
You are only limited by what you can fit in a traffic lane and your imagination!
There are a few rules, although i don't remember them. The only one I can remember is that you cannot have propane tanks secured to your rear bumper.

In Manitoba this is what you MUST have to register your vehicle as an R.V.

"motor home" means a motor vehicle that
(a) is designed and constructed as an integral unit to provide permanent living accommodation,
(b) is equipped with one or more beds and
(i) a stove or refrigerator, or
(ii) washing and toilet facilities, and
(c) is designed so that there is direct access from the living quarters to the driver's seat;

Designed does not mean from factory, it means designed at SOME point, or that's what I was told! :P
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450
Rated Cap: 22
That's encouraging. I don't believe there is a "DMV" here in BC. There is ICBC for insurance and licensing but registration is done through insurance companies. When I go to reg I'm wondering what I need to classify it as an RV and if something I've done will screw me in that registration. =P

Thanks for the info though. That helps give me an idea of what the process most likely looks like. If anyone has some experience with BC I'd love to hear it. ;)
BassCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCulture View Post
That's encouraging. I don't believe there is a "DMV" here in BC. There is ICBC for insurance and licensing but registration is done through insurance companies. When I go to reg I'm wondering what I need to classify it as an RV and if something I've done will screw me in that registration. =P

Thanks for the info though. That helps give me an idea of what the process most likely looks like. If anyone has some experience with BC I'd love to hear it. ;)
Yeah that's what it's like here in Manitoba. MPI does both the insurance and lcenceing. All I had to do was sign a form when I went to get my plates saying that the bus met all the criteria to be an rv or I would be in "ALL" the trouble!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
BC a bus can only be 39 feet long.

Alberta a bus can be 42 feet long.

BC a bus can only be 8 foot 6 inches wide

Alberta a bus can be 10 feet wide with a $65 a year extra registration fee.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Don't come into the USA with something over 8 feet 6 inches wide unless you have an oversized permit for each state you want to drive in, 8 feet if you want to drive off the interstate system
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

If your bus has air brakes you will need to get your air brake endorsement for your driver's license.

In BC particularly they are getting really picky and red flagging any air brake equipped vehicle if the driver does not have an air brake endorsement.

This includes rental vehicles, RV's, and any commerical vehicles.

It also does not matter where the vehicle is registered. No air brake endorsement and the vehicle is parked until a qualified and properly licensed driver shows up to drive the vehicle.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Is this requirement universal? Does it apply to visitors passing through the Territory?
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskswap View Post
Is this requirement universal? Does it apply to visitors passing through the Territory?
I'm pretty sure it does.
I think that was said here but I could have been the burning man forum.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

BC has had some spectacular incidents involving air brake equipped vehicles that didn't get down some of their hills safely.

As a consequence all air brake equipped vehicles, regardless of where they are licensed, must have a driver who has an air brake endorsement or restriction removed on their driver's license.

No proper license and the vehicle is stopped until a properly licensed driver shows up.

When I talked to one of the weight cops at the port of entry he told me he had three vehicles sitting in his lot waiting for drivers.

They are very serious about not having any more accidents involving air brake equipped vehicles.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote